PDA

View Full Version : Check raise part deux.....

Bluffoon
09-24-2004, 01:12 PM
Is this a better spot to go for a check raise? Or should I have just bet this flop out too? How about betting the turn into the flush? Thanks for your comments....

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO (poster) checks, Button folds, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP3 calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB

easypete
09-24-2004, 01:25 PM
Ummmmmmm..... I'm going to go out on a limb here..... bet the flop?

Straights are not invincible hands, especially w/ a 2-flush flop and 6 opponents.

Bluffoon
09-24-2004, 01:27 PM
Isnt that why I am check raising? To make the flush draw more expensive?

easypete
09-24-2004, 01:31 PM
OK... There was no preflop aggressor. You have no information on who is going to bet. So if you decide to c/r then you have to hope that someone in LP will bet. You don't know this will happen.

What happens if UTG bets out? Then what?

What happens if it gets checked around?

You have the nuts on the flop... That can easily change. Make the draws pay. You will be good 2 times out of 3. 1 out of 3, you will get drawn out by the flush. Get your money in while your hand is good and hope for red cards.

Bob T.
09-24-2004, 01:44 PM
I would bet out here also. All those players with overcards, are happily going to call one bet, and are drawing close to dead. You want to make it easy for them to give you money, so you just want to bet, and let them call. When you get raised, then you have decisions to make about whether or not you want to three bet, or bet again on the turn, or checkraise the turn.

You want to use the checkraise to either get more money in the pot, or to make your opponents make difficult decisions about whether or not to continue. When you flop a straight, you want to get the most money in the pot. Did you accomplish that with this checkraise? Can you see if you had flopped a vulnerable hand, how a checkraise here would have made it hard for your opponents to continue, and made it more likely that you would have won the hand?

I might threebet the turn, and lead the river headsup, because I don't know for sure that my opponent isn't betting two pair or a set, but if he has the flush, I would lose more my way, but I think that in the long run, I would come out ahead.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

fluff
09-24-2004, 03:21 PM
Check-raising was horrible. What did it accomplish?

1)You gave 4 people who are drawing very thin an easy fold. Some of them would've probably called 1 bet.

2)Forget making "flush draws more expensive". Anyone with a 4 flush is correct to call you here, pretty much regardless of what you do. To paraphrase Ed Miller NPA: "They are your companion to the river. If he gets his flush, he wins, if he doesn't you do".