PDA

View Full Version : How to Prepare for PP Million Semis?

mdrudeen
09-24-2004, 01:02 PM
I am very green at MTTs but I managed to win a seat in 1 of the 9+1 supers and I would like to give myself the best possible chance of winning the semi in Nov so if any has any opinions I would appreciate it.

Ordered my copy of THFAP any other books I should read?

Besides preference is there any advantage / disadvantage to NL vs. Limit?

Should I be looking for the largest field of the 4 semis?

Any questios I am forgetting to ask?

Thanks

PokerNeal
09-24-2004, 01:15 PM
Play the largest tourney -- there are more cruise trips awarded.

In the early stages remember that any two hands can win given that everyone seems to hang around till the river. This is the time when even pocket Ace's can lighten your stack quite a bit because you will bet aggressively with this hand and still play till the river to try win the pot. Come the river and you could potentially lose to a guy who makes his second pair or straight or a flush.

In the middle to late stages you should expect to play any rank 1 or 2 hands (Sklansky) if action is not heavy and from on or near the button. If action is light you should bet 3-4X the BB to try steal the blinds. If you decide to go in at this stage it is almost always advisable to go in with 3X BB so as to eliminate as much of the competition as possible that otherwise may try come in with semi-premium hands and land a lucky flop.

In the late stages premium hands will persist and win pots for you. Play them aggressively.

From late middle stages it really is similar to a NLH tourney as the blinds are quite big. It is only the early stages where boredom reportedly has sapped many players of their energy.

Do not ever forget that your objective is not to make the final table. It is to make the final positions which award you the cruise trip. There is no glory in being #1 here if coming in the top 18 will do.

Mez
09-24-2004, 03:49 PM
I don't know if you'll find all that much in THFAP that applies to a PPM semi. The concepts in the book usually assume the opponent has an ability to fold, which you won't see for much of that tourney.

I would play limit tourneys on Party - practice. In the tourney, play super tight. You'll need to hit some cards early on in order to stay in. Try to blind steal whenever you can in mid to late rounds. And to second the previous post - remember that you only need to make it to the money (if you're fortunate enough to be in that position). I was and I screwed it up when I should have just played AA and KK.