PDA

View Full Version : Flopped straight - check raise the turn or bet?

Bluffoon
09-24-2004, 12:31 PM
I wasnt happy about losing two players on the turn. Risk a check through here to go for a check raise or bet out...

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (10.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB

Bob T.
09-24-2004, 12:37 PM
Bet the flop. On second thought, bet the flop.

You have only one player left to act on the flop, why would you risk getting it checked through. You would like to charge gutshots for the chance to chop with you. Also, a lot of players will frequently take one off, and by checking, you miss out on the opportunity to collect a small bet from those players.

My third choice, bet the flop.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

easypete
09-24-2004, 12:42 PM
Bet the flop.

Bet the turn.

atomicbran
09-24-2004, 12:42 PM
You need to bet this flop. With only one player to act behind you, there's a good chance that it will be checked through. Slowplaying in general is usually not a good idea, especially with a vulnerable hand like a straight. I would just bet all streets and hope someone raises.

colgin
09-24-2004, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet the flop. On second thought, bet the flop.

You have only one player left to act on the flop, why would you risk getting it checked through. You would like to charge gutshots for the chance to chop with you. Also, a lot of players will frequently take one off, and by checking, you miss out on the opportunity to collect a small bet from those players.

My third choice, bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD.

Bluffoon
09-24-2004, 12:53 PM
Thanks Bob

Under what conditions do you think a check on the flop would be appropriate, if any.

PokerInBrooklyn
09-24-2004, 12:54 PM
Bet the flop, you don't want this checked through, and with that board, someone had to have hit something, so you will get callers, maybe ever a raiser.

The way you played the hand, I might have went for a c/r on the turn, but betting out worked wonders for you as you were able to throw a 3-bet in there.

Bluffoon
09-24-2004, 12:59 PM
Got it... Knock off the fancy pants plays. I usually end up outsmarting myself anyway /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bob T.
09-24-2004, 01:26 PM
If the player who acted behind you had raised preflop, and you could expect a bet from him, and could checkraise the whole field, a checkraise would be a good consideration.

AustinDoug
09-24-2004, 01:47 PM
(1) Raise pre-flop.
(2) Bet the flop.
(3) Re-raise the flop if given the chance.
(4) Bet the turn.
(5) Re-raise the turn if given a chance.
(6) Bet the river.
(7) Re-raise the river if given a chance.