PDA

View Full Version : Why I play this game..... (low content, semi-long)

Ghazban
09-24-2004, 11:29 AM
So I'm playing my usual tight-aggressive game of .10/.25 blind no-limit on UB and these few hands come up:

Hand 1
AA in EMP, I raise preflop, get 2 callers, flop is QT5 rainbow, I bet the pot and take it down

Hand 2 (literally, the next hand)
I get AA again, now in UTG+1, I raise preflop, get 2 callers, flop is very similar: Q83 rainbow, I bet the pot, get one caller, turn is a 7 completing the rainbow, I push all in (little more than pot size at this point) and he calls w/QJo. I figured him for AQ so, while this suprises me, I'm perfectly happy he's calling. River is a Q and I go broke.

Winning next to nothing with AA followed by losing my whole stack with AA in the very next hand is just too much so I leave the table, do some work, try to cool off, yadda yadda yadda. About an hour later, I sit down at the same stakes game (different players, though) and get the following hand:

Hand 3 (an hour later)
Dealt 88 in MP, 3 limps in front of me, I limp, button limps, SB minraises, BB and all the limpers call. Flop is Q83 rainbow (huh, lot of Q-high flops in this story... well, whatever). Yay for me! SB bets the pot, 1 guy in front of me calls, I do, too, everyone else folds. Turn is a ten of some suit I care not about, SB bets $2 of his $13 stack into a ~$10 pot, guy in front of me calls, I raise it up to $10, SB pushes all-in for ~$13, other guy calls, I do, too. River is a J and other guy pushes all-in to the dry side pot for ~$5, which I obviously call, hoping for the poetic justice that would be if he had QJ and just made 2 pair. SB shows down KK, other guy has AQo, and my set rakes a ginormous (yes, I did just invent that word, deriving it from gigantic and enormous) pot, more than making up for the bad beat earlier with AA.

Thank you, idiots, for playing so poorly and ensuring that, as a group, the bad beats you lay on me are compensated for by the equally poor play of your compatriots /images/graemlins/grin.gif

amoeba
09-24-2004, 11:37 AM
sorry, you did not make up ginormous, its been used before.

that said, nice hand.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ghazban
09-24-2004, 11:39 AM
I didn't? Bah, I hadn't seen it before (not that it was particularly innovative to derive).

amoeba
09-24-2004, 11:43 AM
I've heard a sportscaster use that term, in addition to other made up metaphors as "mastadonic".

shadyfin
09-24-2004, 01:02 PM
Doyle Brunson always said that AA was a hand where you either win a small pot or lose a big one.

Ghazban
09-24-2004, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Doyle Brunson always said that AA was a hand where you either win a small pot or lose a big one.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true against decent players but at .10/.25 online its a different story. The point is that, at the time the money went in, I was a huge favorite (he had 5 outs with one card to come). Anyway, the bad beat wasn't even the point of the story; it was the humorous illustration of how horrible play by my opponents cost me my stack one time, then tripled it up another (much to my delight!).

Mikey2k4
09-24-2004, 03:58 PM
I was waiting for the other guy in hand 3 to show you AK. Or even worse, 92o or something ker-razy like that.

Way to play it, though.

shadyfin
09-29-2004, 02:43 PM
Actually I've had my AA cracked more often at micro-limit tables than any place else. Its always a little amusing at these tables when you go all-in w/ AA and get 4+ callers and get busted by the guy w/ 64o that makes a str8. Or even worse, when your caled by the guy with ATo and the board goes 2345 - and you both loose money to the rake when the pot is split.