PDA

View Full Version : Come over the top in both of these?

parappa
09-24-2004, 10:06 AM

10+1. Button has been raising fairly frequently. My stack is microscopic.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (4 handed)

BB (t1690)
UTG (t2460)
Button (t3000)
Hero (t850)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, Button raises to t600, Hero ??

I can't imagine folding here because my stack is so small, but at the same time I'm not that happy with all the action.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (6 handed)

MP (t960)
CO (t600)
Button (t1148)
SB (t1788)
Hero (t898)
UTG (t2606)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG raises to t400, MP folds, CO raises to t1000 (All-In), Button folds, SB folds, Hero ???

RobGW
09-24-2004, 12:06 PM
These are both easy all in situations imo. I have to ask the question though. Do you find yourself in this situation often? I usually make a stand way before I get to 2-4x the BB. Since you waited so long, even if you double up in both of these situations, you are still not in good shape. Make a stand while you still have some fold equity. You don't necessrily have to have great cards, just wait for the right situation. High blinds, no raisers, a limper or two, then go all in and watch them fold.

poboys
09-24-2004, 12:47 PM
#2 Doesn't make sense. CO has T600 to start then raises to T1000?

Either way, I think #1 is a clear fold. You are most certainly behind, so far behind that even the dead money of your blind does not make it worth playing.

#2 I think this is a clear all-in. It costs you T300 and orbit and climbing. The only way that you'll survive is by doubling up (not just stealing blinds). Chances are UTG will call (great pot odds). Plus you have T300 of dead blind money. You are risking ~T700 to win T700x3 + T300 = T2400. It's definately a gambool, but how many chances like this are you going to get in the next two-three orbits?

tallstack
09-24-2004, 01:15 PM
I'll go the math (ICM) route for the first one.

If you fold your $equity is about .124 (assuming the button takes it down uncontested) and if you push and win (assuming the BB does not join in) it's about .254. Thus you need to win about 50% here to breakeven on the call. As long as the button would have raised with about 40% or more of hands here then your push should be a positive expectation.

For your second hand, I am not sure if you mean that the CO raised all-in to t600 or if you have his chip count wrong at the start of the hand. All the player chips at the start of the hand add up to 8000 so I will assume that the CO raise was to 600.

I think that you have little chance that UTG will fold to your all-in here, but it is possible that he will. I would usually push here, but putting in a third raise with a hand like AQs would be read dependent, mostly on how loose the UTG's raising standards are. The cutoff is not the concern IMO. I think you are close to 50/50 against the range of hands he could have here. If the UTG was putting in lots of min raises then I would push over the top here for sure. If his raising standards were pretty tight, or if min raises were very unusual for him, then I would pass here.

Dave S

parappa
09-24-2004, 01:20 PM
Sorry about that. The chip counts are right. The CO went all in, so it's 600, not 1000 to me. Copy/pasted direct, the hand history is wrong for some reason.

ChrisV
09-24-2004, 02:44 PM
Allin on both counts.