PDA

View Full Version : Poker in Ocean City?

06-04-2002, 02:54 PM
I have moved to Ocean City, MD for the summer, and was wondering if any locals have a card game, or if I'll get to play at all this summer without driving to AC...I'm betting the answer's no, but does anybody know anything? You can email me or post here. Thanks!

~Magic Man

06-04-2002, 02:55 PM
Ah, I forgot: umdpoker@yahoo.com if anyone wants it.

06-04-2002, 06:28 PM
I generally don't encourage heathen and gomorrhic behavior.

But from what I can tell, you are barely college-aged.

Do you really have nothing better to do than drive to AC this summer?

Geez, Baggins, please email this young man.

eLROY

06-04-2002, 09:07 PM
don't know what im supposed to do for the guy.

if you can't go a whole summer without playing poker, well... i can't really blame you. but get a computer and play online. unless the drive to AC is under 2 hours. then go there, but not too often. don't waste your summers in a cardroom. have fun doing other stuff as well. shit, i haven't played a proper poker game since february, since im broke. (1 home game with my drunk buddies definitely does NOT count).

go to the beach, catch some rays, and get laid, if at all possible. you have plenty of time in the rest of your life for playing poker, but you won't be young forever. im not saying don't play at all, just make sure that your affinity for the game doesn't become an obsession.

also, read some non-poker books.

06-04-2002, 09:08 PM
as far as non poker books go, id suggest Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. its big and entertaining as hell, and will last you the whole summer. i've read it twice, and i loved it even more the second time.

06-05-2002, 01:11 PM
I posted here about 3 months ago just as I was starting IJ, asking for opinions on whether this 1100 page doorstop was worth the effort. Baggins, among others, assured me that it was. I just finished it last week and I couldn't agree more. I skipped many nights at the cardroom to stay home and read. Just a great, entertaining, long book. Keep an unabridged dictionary nearby.

06-06-2002, 04:37 AM
glad to hear you went ahead and read it. even gladder to hear that you liked it. I really dig DFW's style, and the voice he has. IJ is by far my favorite of his writings, but the rest of his stuff is really cool, too. I'm re-reading A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again. some great essays. i also think you might enjoy Brief Interviews With Hideous Men. check out the audio version as well, its a real treat.

What are some of your favorite parts of Infinite Jest?

06-06-2002, 01:20 PM
Wow, you're getting me started...

Well, the alternate future that DFW set up and the way he unfolded the first 200 or so pages of the book really got me hooked. What the heck happened to Hal that left him mentally articulate but turned him into the shreiking, convulsive mess of the first section? What's with this "Year of ..." stuff? What was the Medical Attache watching that put him into catatonia? Why is Steeply dressed as a woman and what are they doing on a cliff in the Arizona desert? What's the Great Concavity? What's up with Quebec? What happened to Joelle van Dyne? What's going to happen with that DMZ stuff? The book starts so many interesting story lines that I kept reading initially just to see where everything was going.

I also like DFWs writing style. His narrative technique is funny: that banal sentence structure that sounds like the stream of consciousness of a 12 year old girl ("And but so then...") peppered with hundreds 50 cent words ends up being elegant without trying to do so. It's like he's poking fun both at the English language for having all these esoteric terms that no one needs or uses, and at the same time the pathetic lack of command most of its speakers have over it.

My favorite scene from the book is probably the big Eschaton fight on the tennis courts on Interdependence Day. "The most complex game ever conceived of and played by children", haha. And Pemulis is my favorite character, kinda reminds me of some old friends.

I could talk about IJ for hours, maybe we should move this to the "Other Topics" board. What were your favorite parts of the book? How is DFW's other stuff?

06-07-2002, 12:50 AM