PDA

View Full Version : Is it me???

06-04-2002, 12:59 PM
I play mostly home games, and have won consistently in all games over my lifetime of poker (20+years). I mainly attribute this to the horrendous play of my opponents.

However, one game I play in is baffling me. It is a full table (8 players), 5-10, 10-20 game. 5 dealer ante. Most games are Omaha8 (or variations), 5/7 stud hilo (with slight variations - ie. replace cards at end, spits, 8 or better occasionaly, declare mostly). Sometimes crazy games are dealt (rare) like follow the queen.

The players stay in with awful hands. In Omaha8, they will stay with starting hands like 2-5-9-J, for a raise before the flop. Meanwhile, even though I've loosened up my starting hand requirements (like playing any suited ace, etc.), I cannot win. Over the past 40 sessions, I am virtually even. In a game where people have won over $1000 a night (usually big winner is in $500 range), I have not booked a win over $300 in these sessions. Haven't lost over $300 either. My standard deviation is slim. BTW, the game is fairly aggressive - alot of pumping of pots with unmade hands.

You might think my tight image hurts me, but people will call my bets anyway. (for example, three wheel cards on the flop. I bet and get three callers - none have wheel. Of course I do).

It just seems I cannot get any momentum. I win a big pot, and then can't seem to get the cards to win another one. Since all hands are showdowns, I mentally keep track of hands I would have won had I stayed. My cards are so poor that even had I stayed, my hands don't come in. Meanwhile, it seems my opposition is constantly hitting runner-runner hands.

Another example: I have, in 5 card Omaha, Ac-5c-9d-Jh-Kh.

Board: 3h-9h-Kc-2c. A monster draw for the river. I bet and it gets called by 5 players!!! Of course, an offsuit 10 comes on the river. Two players had J-Q (with little else) and took it down. FYI, my heart flush was best draw, and no one had an A-4 for low. I realize I'm going to make money in the long run with these kind of hands (and do at my other games), but it's driving me crazy that I can't seem to put together a decent run in this game.

Can I not see the forrest thru the trees?

Tim

06-04-2002, 01:23 PM
is it a dealer's choice game? if so, make sure that you always call games that you have the biggest edge in.

short term here, man. don't let it get to you. sooner or later, the deck will clobber you, and you can retire off these guys.

06-04-2002, 07:17 PM
This could be a streak of bad starting hands.

You will eventually beat them playing nut-5-card omaha so long as you are betting enough (which by the tone of your post I'd say that you are NOT betting enough).

I suspect, however, you may be losing lots at "declare" since that single decision FAR outweighs all other decisions at the table. It is certainly reasonable that some TERRIBLE players may be great at that single decision which would, in fact, put you at a significant disadvantage. Brunson once said that he could realistically beat a 'Declare' game against transparent opponents without looking at his cards.

Tight-sensible-paranoid types tend to be transparent. If this argument seems reasonable then you will HAVE to "sacrifice" some EV along the way in order to get some disguise equity for the "Declare". One way is to wait a round AFTER you make your hand to put in a raise. Another way is to play apparent low hands with disguised high strength.

- Louie