PDA

View Full Version : Break out the deuce deuce.

BigEndian
09-24-2004, 08:40 AM
Anyone think the bet on the turn is bad? Anyone 3-bet the flop?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: BigEndian is MP2 with 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BigEndian calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, BigEndian calls, Button calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">BigEndian bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, UTG+2 calls, BigEndian calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">BigEndian bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, UTG+2 calls.

River: (12.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+2 checks, BigEndian checks, Button folds.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 12.50 BB, between BigEndian, SB and UTG+2.</font>

- Jim

Holm Fries
09-24-2004, 08:55 AM
What was your thought process for checking the river?

BigEndian
09-24-2004, 08:59 AM
There are three players left in the hand, I don't think my hand is good often enough to justify the bet.

- Jim

Festus22
09-24-2004, 09:04 AM
Interesting post.

I'd question the first flop bet. I'm not saying it's wrong. I'm just trying to decide why it's right. Overcards aren't folding for one bet. And ducks winning unimproved seem quite unlikely. A value bet for the straight draw is close but it's a pseudo-open ender with the six giving a 7 a better straight. And spiking your set gives an ace the straight. Hmmmmm, I just don't know. I'd like to hear other thoughts on why or why not.

I guess the same holds for the turn bet as well.

Glad I could help. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Malificent
09-24-2004, 09:36 AM
You know, I think if you're going to bet the turn, you have to bet the river here to give people a chance to fold. Button showed strength on the flop but then backed off on the turn, suggesting a draw (A6s?) or a pair of overcards. I would've thought 77-99 if it wasn't for the wacky fold at the end.

I think I might 3 bet the flop and lead the turn. If I get raised on the turn, I can safely assume I'm beat.

tolbiny
09-24-2004, 10:49 AM
I think I might 3 bet the flop and lead the turn. If I get raised on the turn, I can safely assume I'm beat.

Thats a lot of money to put in a pot with a weak hand "just to know your beat"

BigEndian
09-24-2004, 11:20 AM
I can't claim it's right but this was my thinking:

My hand need protection and the only way I have to protect is to try to get all over cards to fold with a flop bet and hope I get raised. Mission accomplished, but I still ended up with everyone and their cousin calling two cold. I still have odds to draw if other pairs are out, so I don't mind getting raised at all. I follow up with the same plan on the turn, but this time no raise and people are still dragging along. The river comes a blank and I can't see a bet being either a) a value bet or b) a bet that will get better hands to fold so I check.

The $10,000 question is do I call on the end to a bet?

- Jim

Victor
09-24-2004, 11:27 AM
The bet on the turn is baaaaaaaaaaaaad. You are not gonna win the pot with it, you are not likely ahead, and you leave yourself open to an odds damaging raise.

Malificent
09-24-2004, 11:58 AM
That is true. I do tend to overplay my hands sometimes. I think I try and force myself to overaggressiveness to counteract my natural weak tight tendencies.

3 betting the flop and folding to a turn raise costs me 2.5BB. Calling the flop raise and check calling to the river costs me 3BB although with the benefit of seeing a showdown. Choices, choices. I'm uncertain whether the chance of folding people with a higher pair is worth it. Maybe best to see the showdown.