PDA

View Full Version : Crappy Ace in Small Blind

Burno
09-24-2004, 07:33 AM
Say there's 4 limpers to you in the SB. Do you always complete with a small, offsuit ace?

Why or why not?

Assume Party 50 NL full ring.

And then answer it for 6 max as well.

Burno

Burno
09-24-2004, 11:26 AM
We're still accepting answers.

tabish
09-24-2004, 11:47 AM
I throw it away in a ten-handed game. The only way you can play confidently with this hand (considering that you're in the worst position for the rest of the hand) is if you flop two pair, and if that's what you're going for, then you should complete with any two cards.

If you flop an ace, you're not strong enough to check-raise and check-call gives you no information, so you probably want to bet out. I can see one of three situations:

1. Win a small pot when everyone folds to your bet
2. Fold to a raise. Typical players at those limits could raise with any ace, so you'd have no idea how you stand to a raise.
3. Contest a decent-sized pot when a passive opponent calls you down to the river with another modest ace. You'll usually lose.

In a short-handed game, it's a little harder to say. Your ace could very well be best, but again you're in terrible position with no idea where you stand. In most situations, you're going to invest in the pot and end up folding, so I would avoid A-rag for anything down to five players.

okayplayer
09-24-2004, 04:15 PM
No, I would not complete with 4 limpers. Because if an A flops, do you really like your hand (especially out of position)? I may play it if there is one limper or if it's just me and the BB.

okay

schwza
09-24-2004, 05:15 PM
6 max, 1 limper from utg or utg+1, i'd complete a8 but muck a7. if the limper is CO or button, i'll loosen up some.