PDA

View Full Version : Stop & Go & Stop & Go & ReGo

Festus22
09-24-2004, 06:13 AM
Villian in this hand was quite LAGish. This was almost a gimmick hand but would like comments on trying to extract the max without losing villain here.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.50 SB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.75 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button folds.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB

KingSix
09-24-2004, 07:10 AM
I three bet the turn.

He/she either has a heart and is going to the wall with you or set/two pair that you need to charge him/her the absolute max to chase while they are willing to put the money in the pot. Since the hand is complete on the river, you need to charge them before that time when there are still cards to come and they can chase. When a player like this is willing to put more money in the pot when you have the nuts with cards to come, you've got to take advantage of that....and just calling raises isn't the solution.

King

StellarWind
10-05-2004, 12:39 AM
Judging by the results you don't need my advice on milking people.

I would 3-bet the flop because my hand is vulnerable.

That's ridiculous, you say? He's lucky if he has any outs at all? True, but there is a serious danger that the fourth heart will come and destroy his interest in the hand. Your hand is vulnerable to losing it's earning power. Charge him the max while he is still willing to call. Heads up with a PFR, he won't put you on the flush just yet.

You should 3-bet the turn for a similar reason. He may very well have some outs to a full house. Right now he'll call to draw a card. Once he sees the river he may fold his two pair or even a set. He has to know you have a heart at this point. I certainly wouldn't expect him to put in extra bets on the river so you have little to gain by waiting.

Brian
10-06-2004, 02:29 AM
Hi Festus,

I think that you played your hand well. LAGs are more vulnerable than anyone else to the stop-n-go. It's almost as if they resent the fact that you won't check to them on the next round after they raise you. StellarWind makes an interesting point about possibly losing your opponent when the 4th Heart comes, but I don't think that has much merit when dealing with a LAG. Your line is pretty much perfect. You gave him enough rope to hang himself with, without checking to him and allowing him to possibly take a free card, even though most times he won't.

I can't think of a better way to play your hand. If you 3-bet the Turn on a 4-Flush board, all but the most maniacal of LAGs will slow down if they don't have the Ah. Here, you played it like you had a smallish Flush, and you probably extracted the absolute maximum out of him. Nice hand.

-Brian

me454555
10-06-2004, 02:31 AM
Weird, why would he fold to a 3 bet? I've been seeing these kinds of laydowns lately and it just baffles me. Why go all the way to the river and build a huge pot just to fold to a raise/reraise.

anatta
10-06-2004, 04:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Weird, why would he fold to a 3 bet

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Brian hit it on the head, players get pissed when you won't check to them, they have a hand, or are LAG, and raise cause the stop n go looks suspicious. Then on the river, well the three bet isn't fun and games anymore, its obvious he's got the goods.

StellarWind
10-06-2004, 08:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Weird, why would he fold to a 3 bet? I've been seeing these kinds of laydowns lately and it just baffles me. Why go all the way to the river and build a huge pot just to fold to a raise/reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because he has no hand at all? Probably it was a complete bluff. Embarassment about showing down may also be a factor.