PDA

View Full Version : pokertracker for SNG's

housenuts
09-24-2004, 06:12 AM
is pokertracker a very valuable and essential program for people who are almost solely SNG players?

i can see it's extreme value for ring game players, but i think it loses much of that value when it comes to tournaments and sng's. maybe i'm wrong and just trying to justify why i shouldn't shell out $55 for it.

Jman28
09-24-2004, 06:20 AM
It's definitely more helpful to ring players, as you said.

It is helpful for SnGs too. It really depends on how much $55 is to you.

If you're playing at $55 tables, definitely buy it.

If you only have $150 in your BR, don't yet.

I play SnGs almost exclusively and I'm happy that I have it, and don't regret buying it.

It's not some kind of magic winning machine though. Just a very good way to keep track of your play and your earnings/losses. It's good for finding holes in your game. The first week I had it, I noticed that I usually lost money with JJ. I realized I was overplaying them, and fixed it.

Patriarch
09-24-2004, 06:33 AM
I just bought Pokertracker twenty minutes ago, and (judging by the trial version) I think it is great value for money. I play SnG's exclusively too at the moment, but I plan to start on ring games when my bankroll is a little bigger.

Solitare
09-24-2004, 08:45 AM
If you haven't used Pokertracker to track your ring game play, you are missing out. If you only play SnGs, I would still get Pokertracker, and then use it to track a few thousand ring game hands at a low/micro limit. It will give you invaluable feedback on your game that you can transfer to your SnG play. Stuff like pre-flop hand selection, % of flops seen, % won when flops seen, % showdowns won, % steal attempts, % blind defense, etc. The list goes on. Pokertracker is less effective on tournaments since the hands get tracked by blind levels and your hand requirements change so often based on position, stack, blinds, players left, etc.

AleoMagus
09-24-2004, 11:49 AM
I actually bought pokertracker ages ago and have since stopped using it for SNGs altogether. Maybe I'm just lazy, but it became a pain importing hand histories and I wasn't getting too much out of it.

It's great for ring play. I think I'll also start using it again if I ever move up enough in stakes to see the same players frequently. This ability to track your opposition's specific results and playing tendencies can be invaluable, but it just doesn't amount to much at 30+3 and below because you are drawing from a pool of about a zillion players and you do not play against the same players a lot. At 200+15, this might be different.

I'd recommend downloading the trial version. It lets you put 1000 hands in (10-20 SNGs) and if you like it after that, you can pay for it.

Check out also the fast evolving 2+2SNG spreadsheet for SNG results. This is what I use and I think it is fine.

Regards
Brad S

LinusKS
09-24-2004, 12:48 PM
I've had PT since the end of April, and I've been pretty disappointed.

It's clearly designed for cash game players, and has tons of useful information for them.

The tourny pages seem to have been added as an afterthought, and most of the stats have little relevance to tournament play. Even the blind amounts are wrong. Hell, it doesn't even calculate ROI's for you.

Having said that, I still use it, and faithfully import tournament histories.

Then I export them to Brad's spreadsheets, where the real fun begins.

sofere
09-24-2004, 12:59 PM
What are these spreadsheets u speak of, and where can i find them?

housenuts
09-24-2004, 02:27 PM
i downloaded the trial version a few weeks ago and have imported my max alloted 1,000 hands. i just didn't see the value for it for SNGs/tournaments. they are so situation dependent which means sometimes you'll even fold KK (extreme example) whereas other times you may open-raise with complete junk. this is stuff you wouldn't really think of in a ring game.

the best benefit i saw of it was tracking my opponents. the only problem with that was there are so many thousands of opponents that you are unlikely to run into the same ones more than a few times at most.

where would i go about finding this spreadsheet? i am currently using www.pokercharts.com (http://www.pokercharts.com) to track my results. is there a better software to track results for sng play?

LinusKS
09-24-2004, 08:26 PM
This is the link to the - as far as I know - latest version.

AleoMagus started it, and Jurollo and others added to it.

It does a bunch of cool things, like calculate your ROR - risk of ruin - and it generates graphs and charts showing things like your ITM and total profits over time.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=915485&page=&view=&sb=5&o =&fpart=1&vc=1