PDA

View Full Version : Trips on the flop

3rdEye
09-24-2004, 04:39 AM
$5 winner-take-all S&G with my buddies earlier. Heads-up. Blinds are 10/20 (I know........WAY too small, but the structure in these things is retarded). I have about T1300 to villain's T700.

I limp with T2o on the button; villain checks.

Flop: A22, 2 clubs.

Villain is an *extreme* LAG. He checks, so I check behind. I do not put him on a flush draw; he would probbably bet 4 to a flush. Then again, villain is capable of making tricky plays against me, since he recognizes me as a thinking player (or, which is more likely, gives me more credit than I deserve).

Turn: 4 of clubs. Villain checks. I bet T200. Villain calls. I still do not put him on a flush. He would likely push, given his stack size.

River is a 5. Now, I know this play seems strange, but I check. Villain pushes all-in. We've played about 10 hands heads-up at this point, and Villain has not made this sort of play yet. After about 2 or 3 minutes of thinking, I fold. I (stupidly) show Villain my trips--he shows me 8c 3h for the rivered straight.

Any comments? I was proud of this laydown, because it was based on a thoughtful read (the process behind which I cannot fully articulate), but Villain was almost distraught that I didn't call, given my reputation. Interestingly, I think my fold put him on tilt, and I ended up winning the thing a few hands later.

Can someone explain to me why I *knew* that Villain had made his straight on the river? I still think my fold was weak, despite the fact that I was 100% positive that Villain made his straight. Hours later, I am unable to explain why I was so positive that he made a straight, but I was as sure as I'm my mother's son that he did.