PDA

View Full Version : 85o BB defense

tempest7178
09-24-2004, 01:42 AM
After reading the other threads on blind defense and seeing how high my fold % was I am trying to loosen up my blind defense stratgegy. This is perhaps taking it too far...?

4 handed, 5/10 Party game, loose passives for the most part except the raiser who is a LAG, 60 VPIP 22 PFR.

CO limps, overaggro (Button) raises, SB calls, Action is on you with 8s5d, I will guarantee the CO will not limp rr. Your action?

I don't want to be results oriented, the hand turned out well, but I am curious as to how far you can take your blind defense and whether or not this situation will be profitable long term.

Flop comes T76 2 spades, checked to PFR who bets, all call, turn is a red 4, checked to PFR he bets, fold, I c/r, fold, he calls. River is a ten, non-spade, he calls my bet.

DrGutshot
09-24-2004, 02:17 AM
I'll be the first to reply here -

I am also trying to loosen up my blind defenses after seeing my disturbingly high %fold to steal, but this IS taking it too far. In such a game as you describe, I think the lowest you can defend profitably is a decent suited-one gapper, i.e. as low as 97s, any PP, or unsuited connecters as low as JT. With 85o you are truly hoping for a miracle flop - and on top of that if you hit a pair, it may be hard to lay it down against such a player as you describe. You may find yourself desperatly check-calling the turn+riv after C/R the flop, only to be 3bet. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

This is coming from a 3/6 FH player, anyone else have input?

-Drgutshot

Scotch78
09-24-2004, 04:11 AM
There's no question here. If you think there is, there's probably major leaks in your play. What have you done to study the game so far, i.e. books you've read?

Scott

joker122
09-24-2004, 04:19 AM
I doubt it's a leak. He's probably just freaked out (like alot of other people, including me) about some defense advice given here lately. However, it seems he's taking it a little too far - 85o isn't nearly enough hand to defend with.

Instead of posting a specific starting hand like you did, post a preflop scenario and ask "how low can I go here?"

Cleveland Guy
09-24-2004, 08:09 AM
I probably over defend, but even I think I would have folded this here.

Part of what to look at in your blind defense is how many people are in the hand, and what flop will be needed. Since this is going to be a 4 way pot, you will need to flop at least 2 pair, if not trips or a straight to make this worthwhile. I don't see an 8 with no kicker making top pair.

Now, not that I would say 85o is good, but if it was just you vs. button, and you knew any part of the board might be good, it's a little different story.

I think the fact that it's going to be a 4 way flop makes this an even worse defense.

tempest7178
09-24-2004, 01:11 PM
thanks for the input, I definitely agree this is taking it too far preflop. I thought the postflop play was fine and if you were curious the raiser had QTo and berated me for the rest of the night(he was already tilting and was a very big pf LAG to begin with but this put him over). FYI, my previous blind defense stats were fold to steal in SB 89% and fold BB to steal 69%. Since reading these most recent posts they have dropped to 87 and 65% and I am still seeing how I can better defend my blinds. Thanks again.

Cleveland Guy
09-24-2004, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

4 handed, 5/10 Party game, loose passives for the most part except the raiser who is a LAG, 60 VPIP 22 PFR.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is 60 and 22 LAG? or Maniac? Seems more like a maniac to me. Is he raising from any position no matter the bets before him?