PDA

View Full Version : 88 on the button

Tosh
09-24-2004, 01:35 AM
I raise 2 limpers with 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, BB and limpers come in for 4 way action.

The flop is 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, I bet and 1 limper folds.

Turn is T /images/graemlins/heart.gif, other limper wakes up and bets, I raise, BB folds and limper calls.

River is K /images/graemlins/club.gif, it goes check check.

anatta
09-24-2004, 03:54 AM
Good turn raise, I am always suspicious of an opponent who suddenly wakes up on the turn and bets into me when a check-raise could trap someone. I take the free showdown here too.

GuyOnTilt
09-24-2004, 04:09 AM
Hey Tosh,

What river cards, if any, were you planning to bet the river if checked to?

GoT

Tosh
09-24-2004, 04:19 AM
Certainly an 8; I think I would bet a T too.

GuyOnTilt
09-24-2004, 04:27 AM

I think you should be betting several more against an unknown, which I'm assuming this guy is. /images/graemlins/frown.gif Of course, this all comes down to his range of hands and probabilities of those specific hands (as with virtually every other decision you make in hold'em). Any reads on style, lines with made hands v. draws, levels of thinking, preflop limping standards, etc.?

GoT

Tosh
09-24-2004, 04:43 AM
My opponent was a weak player - too many hands basically - I don't recall any knowledge on his aggression level though.

I feel him having clubs is less likely than a pair; who would check call their draw on the flop and bet when they miss on the turn. A turned pair of tens is a decent possibility. But he could have picked up some random straight draw if he had J9s or 89s (less likely clearly). He could have hit the flop a bit and now come out firing the turn to test me out, he could have hit a monster and tried to tie me to the pot / make it look like he was bluffing. Maybe he just got suddenly scared his flopped set would get outdrawn by a flush.

Assigning weights is tricky, though I might well need to value bet a few more blanks (FWIW this was early session, I am more inclined to make thinner bets after someone has seen me for a bit - they seem to ignore the fact I fold the majority of the time and just notice that I bet / raise a lot when I play).

sthief09
09-24-2004, 08:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know a T makes it less likely he's betting top pair, but I don't think a deuce falling, as opposed to a T, makes your hand all THAT much worse. More often than not, I feel he's betting a draw he just picked up, or what was TP on the flop because he doesn't want you checking through the turn, and wants information. I think you can bet any non-club, OESD completing cards under 8. I think I'd expect to see A7 or 98 more than a hand like JT.

anatta
09-24-2004, 04:11 PM
Upon further review, I agree with betting the river here. You would think that a king on the end would scare your checking opponent, given that you are the preflop raiser, and you raised his ass on the turn, but (and this is one of the many things that SSH book has helped me with) loose players can have a lot of pair hands that you beat here, and its hard to fold a pair on the river for one bet, so against most players a bet here is correct I now think.

Nate tha' Great
09-24-2004, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I raise 2 limpers with 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, BB and limpers come in for 4 way action.

The flop is 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, I bet and 1 limper folds.

Turn is T /images/graemlins/heart.gif, other limper wakes up and bets, I raise, BB folds and limper calls.

River is K /images/graemlins/club.gif, it goes check check.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are in one of those weird spots on the end where your bet has both some calling equity and some folding equity. I agree that you ought to bet.

bunky9590
09-24-2004, 06:02 PM
I like a river bet, but I can't figure whether its a desperation bet or a value bet. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Probably because I just like to bet.