PDA

View Full Version : AJo against a loose-passive player

Entity
09-24-2004, 12:56 AM
Table is full of loose-passive players, only maybe 5% of flops are raised preflop. In cash games, AJo isn't necessarily a raising hand preflop like it is in limit, right?

Opponent has generally been betting flop and turn, only to lay it down at the river. I think he's only laid down one or two hands to river raises, though (i.e. if he bets the river, he's usually going to call). Would appreciate alternate lines here, since I didn't want him to think I had a made hand.

I still feel really uncomfortable with river overbets, but they seem to be working the best for extracting the most out of bad opponents. I was trying to represent a T.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed)

Button ($5.95)
SB ($6.80)
BB ($6.90)
UTG ($1.70)
UTG+1 ($7.20)
MP1 ($6.20)
MP2 ($6.40)
Hero ($18.90)
CO ($9.30)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls $0.10, UTG+1 calls $0.10, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls $0.10, CO folds, Button calls $0.10, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.55) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets $0.1</font>, Hero calls $0.10, Button folds, BB folds, UTG folds.

Turn: ($0.75) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets $0.1</font>, Hero calls $0.10.

River: ($0.95) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets $0.5</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $5.5</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $18.6</font>, UTG+1 calls $1.40 (All-In).

Final Pot: $26.45

The4thFilm
09-24-2004, 02:00 AM
I'm guessing one of them limped with AA KK or QQ?

Entity
09-24-2004, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing one of them limped with AA KK or QQ?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, he had QJo and I dragged the pot.

I considered for a few seconds that he might have one of those hands, but given the general preflop play (the 5% of hands raised preflop were usually JJ-AA and AK) and his generally straightforward play, I was way ahead of his range of hands.

I'm just generally interested in my overall play of this hand, because as a limit player, I don't have much to judge it to. I do know that I bought in for $4, dropped to $2 pretty quickly on some missed draws, and have now ran it up to almost $50. At the same time, I know my game has serious deficits -- I can only beat the weakest of games/players, and would like to learn more. Hence me posting a hand like this, where I'm really wondering about how others would play it.

Rob

amoeba
09-24-2004, 10:54 AM
I generally limp AJo, although I've been known to raise it in shorthanded games.

I would have played this the same except I would have raised the turn.