PDA

View Full Version : 33 against a BAD opponent.

Entity
09-24-2004, 12:00 AM
I've been playing against this guy for around 100 hands. This is shorthanded (mostly 3-handed, but there were about 20-30 full table hands mixed in). All I have on him is a note that says: "goes all in when he thinks he has the nuts." Generally that means when he has trips (83 on a 33AJ7 board), a straight, a flush, or better. His min-bets are a little harder to read, but not by much. It's been working well so far to call him down (he has yet to make a large bluff; his biggest bluff has been .20 into a $2 pot) as long as you have a piece of the board.

Every time I've re-raised him so far except two he's moved all-in.

The biggest tell I've had on him so far is that if he bets a flop, then checks, he HAS A HAND. I've made the mistake of betting the turn after he's checked twice, and both times, he moved in (once he was called by someone else and he had trips).

I really wasn't sure about how best to represent a hand that he could beat here, but I also wasn't sure that it mattered.

So, comments: preflop limp? Flop min-raise (I know we hate minraises here)? Turn check? River overbet?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (4 handed)

SB ($7.80)
BB ($5.85)
UTG ($15.10)
Hero ($10.50)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.40) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets $0.1</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $0.2</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls $0.10.

Turn: ($0.80) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: ($0.80) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets $0.5</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises to $14.8</font>, Hero calls $5.20 (All-In).

Final Pot: $25.80

The4thFilm
09-24-2004, 12:08 AM
Minimum raises make baby Jesus cry.

Entity
09-24-2004, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Minimum raises make baby Jesus cry.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, I agree. Minraise was ugly, and I have no way to defend it. I'd like to hear an alternate line here. Reraise to $.8 or so?

I know I'm a terrible NL player, but I'd like to become better. I'm coming from a primarily limit background, and I minraised to try to sell that I had top pair or a similarly weak hand (the rest of the table would minraise with TPNK).

Rob

Dominic
09-24-2004, 12:44 AM
no, you bet the pot or even make an overbet with your set of 3s, because you want to make it expensive for anyone with 2 clubs to draw to their flush. You do NOT slowplay this hand. Maybe if the flop came as a rainbow, but not now.

Other than that, I like your raise on the river that enticed him to move all in.

Goodluck!

Entity
09-24-2004, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
no, you bet the pot or even make an overbet with your set of 3s, because you want to make it expensive for anyone with 2 clubs to draw to their flush. You do NOT slowplay this hand. Maybe if the flop came as a rainbow, but not now.

Other than that, I like your raise on the river that enticed him to move all in.

Goodluck!

[/ QUOTE ]
It's funny. Coming from the limit perspective, it's assumed that if a flush draw is there, they aren't going anywhere. I need to remember that this isn't necessarily the case, and I can make it a bad call for them to make.

Thanks!

Rob

Justin A
09-24-2004, 12:51 AM
Just remember you want to bet as much as you think the flush draw will call while giving him incorrect odds to draw out on you. If the board were rainbow with no straight draws, then a min raise wouldn't be bad if you think it would mis-represent your hand.

Justin A