PDA

View Full Version : QQ: A wild tale of sporting excess

atomicbran
09-23-2004, 07:39 PM
First hand at table. What's my flop action?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Hero posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero (poster) raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (12 SB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises/folds/calls</font>

Jonny Melon
09-23-2004, 07:42 PM
Shake your head and lay it down. There are no draws out there.

Jon

Evan
09-23-2004, 07:48 PM
It's so rare that you'll see someone actually play a K like this, I'm going to showdown.

dejableu
09-23-2004, 07:50 PM
Terrible flop. I'd say you have to fold. Given an early-position raiser, it is very possible that you are way behind.

If you try to 3-bet and check behind on the turn to give yourself two chances to spike a Q, you need to be fairly sure of success. Otherwise, if you get capped on the flop, and then bet into on the turn, you've created quite a mess for yourself. Even though it's possible you've got the best hand, I don't think the pot is worth what could be a bloody battle to the end.

dejableu
09-23-2004, 07:53 PM
You are correct that it is more likely for someone with a K to try and trap his opponents. But how do you plan to show down when the action is already expensive? Do you raise to take the lead? And what if either the bettor or UTG pop you back? Do you just call, call, call no matter what anyone else does?

As I said, your read could be correct, but you're looking at an expensive road in front of you.

Evan
09-23-2004, 07:58 PM
I'd call the 2 on the flop. If no one has a King there's a good chance they'll check the turn in which case I think it's a value bet. If they keep firing I'm gonna keep calling because I think my hand is best and I want them to keep betting.

Holm Fries
09-23-2004, 08:16 PM
Fold and congratulate yourself on a sweet post title.