PDA

View Full Version : TT

Tosh
09-23-2004, 05:33 PM
I raise UTG with TT, 2 cold callers and the big blind.

Flop QQJ 2 spades, I have T /images/graemlins/spade.gif, I bet just the button calls. Turn is another Q, I bet and button raises.

Easy laydown?, easier with or without the 3rd queen?

BottlesOf
09-23-2004, 05:44 PM
Harder with the third queen.

I can think of a bunch of opponents whom I wouldn't lay this down against. Against an unknown...smells like a J. Could be in decreasing liklihood: J, case Q, 99/88, Ace high, AA/KK...

Jonny Melon
09-23-2004, 05:50 PM
This one is tricky. Let's say button puts you on AK (all UTG raises are AK, after all).

He is raising with:
--A better PP (AA, KK, or JJ) --unlikely given PF action
--A worse PP --reasonably likely
--A Jack --most likely
--The case Q --somewhat likely
--A stone bluff --unlikely for most players, unless you have a read

If the jack was an undercard to your tens, I'd stay in. With no real reads, I think this is a good laydown, although not necessarily an easy laydown.

Jon

Edit: Left out the case Q!

dejableu
09-23-2004, 06:02 PM
Tough decision. I think it is definitely made more complicated by the third Q. For instance, if it was a K or A instead, then you would know that you were behind a J, Q, or that other overcard. That would be much easier to lay down.

Here, you are only behind a pocket pair like KK or AA, a Q, or a J. I think KK or AA are extremely unlikely given the absence of a preflop 3-bet. The case Q is not impossible, but I'm usually reluctant to put an opponent on quads. So to me the question is: does he have a J or a pocket pair below TT? I think the two possibilities are equally likely, so with over 8 big bets in the pot I probably call down. Of course, if you are wrong and he has a Q or J, you are drawing dead.

beginner
09-23-2004, 06:05 PM
Its probably easier with only two queens, but with 3 your chances dont look that good either.

The only hands that would call this flop are high pocket pairs and strong draws (flush and gutshot). I would be sure that he does not have a higher PP judging by the pre-flop/flop action, and he is not drawing with K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif or 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif because he would probably raise the flop and try to buy a free card. He has the J almost every time in this case, so you lay it down.

Tosh
09-23-2004, 06:31 PM
Sorry if I misimplied what I did here. I actually called down and got shown J5. The 3rd queen made me less confident of the turn lay down and I took the 'safer' option, it still feels like a lay down though.

BottlesOf
09-23-2004, 06:33 PM
I agree Tosh, although I'm always thinking abuot my previous actions at the table. Have I just folded to a turn raise or c/r's? If I look I can be pushed around, I'd be more inclined to call down.

All thungs being equal, I think folding is correct here, and I think calling down is not terrible.

sthief09
09-23-2004, 06:34 PM
I think you're ahead 20+% so I call.

Tosh
09-23-2004, 06:36 PM
I have also started making some call downs from turn raises that are definitely too loose, I'm looking to separate them. Paying off needlessly bugs me severely.

BottlesOf
09-23-2004, 06:39 PM
Agreed. Well put. Now reply to my Twan thread.

Trix
09-23-2004, 07:13 PM
Not sure at all, he would have to be passive preflop and aggr post to free showdown or bluffraise you here. The 3. queen makes it harder.
Maybe check-call down, FD and straightdraw are worthless anyway at this point. Not sure though, interesting hand.

sublime
09-23-2004, 08:14 PM
Tosh-

I call down here. 98%+ of 'typical' poker players will assume you have AK here(ask JoeTall about this one /images/graemlins/laugh.gif) and are raising a PP here.

If the 3rd queen wasnt out I would lean more towards folding (against an unknown)