PDA

View Full Version : Party NL 100 hand.....what should I have done?

jlukowski
09-23-2004, 04:55 PM
QQ on the button raise to 8 3 callers
FLOP Q98 two clubs
EP bets 10 others fold to me, I raise to 20
He goes all-in...can I put him on j10??

amoeba
09-23-2004, 05:02 PM
don't think it could be 88 or 99 ?

Benal
09-23-2004, 05:08 PM
Unless I have a great read on the guy, I call that in a heartbeat.

Ron
09-23-2004, 05:19 PM
HI, /images/graemlins/cool.gif quick guess, you are on the button with QQ and raise it $6 , I would have quessed that you were on a steal with AK and the he had AQs or med- small pr. When He bet his hand $10 ( remember he has a hand, he called your raise and then bet into you)and you raised $20 he smells a bluff and his all-in raise looks like set. I think he made a good bet. /images/graemlins/confused.gif Why would he play j-10 for $6 more?? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

schwza
09-23-2004, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Unless I have a great read on the guy, I call that in a heartbeat.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't care what read you think you have, call it. worst case, you're ~33%.

The4thFilm
09-23-2004, 05:36 PM
for the love of god call

JrJordan
09-23-2004, 05:54 PM
I can't think of any situation here where I would fold. If he is a decent player, he will not be calling your $8 raise with JT. A hand like AQ or QJ would pull this move as well. Even if he has JT, you have plenty of outs for the boat. If he has it, good for him. Keep raising his 2nd best hands preflop.

okayplayer
09-23-2004, 07:00 PM
I would call here, if he's going to call a raise with JT, good for him. I would guess 88 or 99, maybe AT /images/graemlins/club.gif.
You don't mention stack sizes, but I'll assume they're about equal. I would have raised more when he bet into you (I hate min-raises /images/graemlins/wink.gif )

okay

jlukowski
09-24-2004, 12:37 PM
My thoughts were 88 or 99...with possibility of nut flush draw...either way, I didnt think he would call with j10 out of position....so i called and he showed j10 for the straight and i failed to fill up...so depressing

josie_wales
09-24-2004, 01:05 PM
Hi

Welcome to the forums.

[ QUOTE ]
QQ on the button raise to 8 3 callers

[/ QUOTE ]

It is helpful to know the action to you on the button, and then info/reads (if any) on the callers.

[ QUOTE ]
FLOP Q98 two clubs
EP bets 10 others fold to me, I raise to 20

[/ QUOTE ]

He bets $10 into a $32 pot. If he has a straight, he is crazy for betting this little with a board this coordianted (unless he has J /images/graemlins/club.gifT /images/graemlins/club.gif.

I agree with raising, but raising to $20 is horrific. You are doing one of two bad things here:

1) If you put him on a draw, you should make him pay dearly. What are the stack sizes of each of you? That plays a MASSIVE role in your move.

2) If you put him on a made hand that is better than yours then you should just call to potentially lose the least, but win the most if you happen to fill up as he will likeyl put you on a flush draw.

3) If you put him on a made hand that is worse that yours a smooth call is in order as well. If he has a lower set, he is drawing virtually dead to your top set.

Thus, you should consider two choices (a) smooth calling (I dont like this option unless you have a great read) or (b) raising BIG. Not raising $10 which allows him to do two things.

1) Call a $10 bet in a $62 pot and get 6.2-1 to draw at his flush

2) Gives him a chance to re-raise you with a staight and charge YOU for your draw.

As you can see, stack sizes and reads are VERY important here.

Absent that, I am pushing 100% of the time here.

Even if you are behind, you have a draw and a re-draw at many outs.

jw