PDA

View Full Version : Why Does Hold'em Have Blinds Instead of Antes?

Lost Wages
09-23-2004, 04:46 PM
And how would the game be different if it did have antes. Anyone?

Lost Wages

Smasharoo
09-23-2004, 05:53 PM
It'd depend on ths size of the antes, and the structure.

Lost Wages
09-23-2004, 06:01 PM
OK...assume the antes amounted to 1.5SB just line the blinds do. Structure is standard limit hold'em.

Lost Wages

J.R.
09-23-2004, 06:16 PM
more raising and calling preflop.

Lost Wages
09-23-2004, 06:22 PM
OK, but why does hold'em have blinds? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Lost Wages

Stork
09-23-2004, 06:28 PM
To threaten your masculinity.

magiluke
09-23-2004, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OK, but why does hold'em have blinds? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Lost Wages

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it has to do with the way the game itself is... Most hands you get, you want to throw away... The blinds allow you to get more 'free hands', and not have to put any money to the pot... If there were antes, more people would stay in for the flop, and it would really change the whole format of the game... I don't think I actually answered the question fully, but that's my stab...

-Luke

carniplant
09-23-2004, 07:37 PM
I'm guessing maybe it has to do with position, in hold'em it is fixed in relation to the button, in stud position changes according to upcards, since there are no upcards in HE there has to be someway to regulate position throughout the hand..just my guess as to why, maybe i'm way off base

Iceman
09-23-2004, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And how would the game be different if it did have antes. Anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Blinds speed up the game. You only have to wait for two people to put chips out instead of ten people to each count out $3 or whatever.

Blinds also guarantee that there will be some action on a hand. If you have antes and no one opens, you have to redeal and that wastes a lot of time. (People will be reluctant to open with a weak hand in late position because someone could have checked a strong hand in early position as a trap.)

Holdem was once played with one blind and an ante, but this structure led to extremely tight play and little action. Having two blinds means that two people have to put money in the pot with random hands in the worst positions.

You might consider using antes if you have beginning players, in order to simplify the game. It's a lot easier for them to understand when play just goes to the left of the dealer on all rounds.

Dov
09-23-2004, 09:02 PM
the following is just my opinion, but this is what makes the most sense to me now.

In holdem, your position is fixed throughout the hand. The positions 2 to the left of the button have a tremendous positional disadvantage. This disadvantage is so sever that I don't think it would be correct to play anything but AA, KK, QQ, and AKs from those positions. This is slightly offset by those positions already having money in the pot. The money from the blinds is substantial compared to what it would be as ante. This allows more hands to be played from early position (the blinds). You will note that the hands you should call a raise with from the BB are the same hands that you would call with on the button. Remember too, that the blinds are last to act on the first round. This dynamic quality makes the game much more interesting as well.

It is not uncommon to force the action from the most disadvantaged position at the table. For example, stud, even though it is played with antes, has the low card bring it in on 3rd street. This is to stimulate action in the game.

The effect is not the same as when everyone antes.