PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible not to lose my chips in this situation?

minwoo
09-23-2004, 03:39 PM
Second hand in a $30 mini-tourney on Paraidse..

Blinds are 5/10
I'm dealth A 6 off in small blind..eveyrone just calls

Flop comes Ac 6h 5h

I check it with intention of check-raising
Player 2 to my right bets 40, folds to Player 6 who
makes it 100 total...when it comes to me, I re-raise it
to 200...Player 1 who made the first bet folds...now
Player 6 re-raise to 380 or something like that..I call

Turn is a 7s..I check..he goes all-in, I call..
He flips over a set, 6 6 .

My question is...can any of you guys imagine laying it down here? Or is it just one of those hands that your going to lose all your chips no matter what? I'm just curious to as if any player on here can lay something like this down and if so, how you can come to that decision.

Thanks!

parappa
09-23-2004, 04:22 PM
I don't think that I can get away from this.

Patriarch
09-23-2004, 04:27 PM
Nah, I'd lose all my chips there, but on the bright side I'd feel pretty good about it. Losing to a runner-runner straight on the river would have made me break something.

Gator
09-23-2004, 04:50 PM
My theme of the day is that with blinds large relative to stacks (and this is true even at the beginning of a Party SNG) you frequently don't have enough chips to both:
-- bet to find out where you are in a hand
-- protect your hand
Thus, you need to raise to try to protect against AK, etc. drawing and hitting - once you do that there are not enough chips to get away if you find you ran up against a set.

poboy
09-23-2004, 09:17 PM
This would be really difficult to get away from on the flop. On the turn depending on my stack, yes I can get away from it. Not because I put him on a set ,but because I think he completed his straight. Ask yourself this, if the turn had been another heart would you still call? Why is it different when 3 connected cards come out? To me it's not, I'm sure I will be labeled as weak-tight by the other posters but it works for me. By the way your opponent played the hand I would have figured him to be on an open-end flush draw, and the turn just completed one of his draws. Of course I would be wrong in this case, but the outcome would be the same. This would depend on stack size too, you didn't mention how many chips you started the hand with or how much you had left before you called all-in. If I only have a couple hundred more chips than I would call and pray. If I still have at least half my stack, then I throw it away. JMO

CASHIZ
09-23-2004, 10:48 PM
Definent fold on the turn. But here's a trick to put the guy on the set. when he bets ask yourself,"does he fear top pair top kicker right now". If his bets don't seem to suggest fear that he maybe out kickered then he's got either two pair or a set. This along with him just calling pre-flop and with the texture of the flop should pretty much let you in on to what he has.

Another thing, when playing tournaments and a situation comes up were your not sure, the play is to fold. It may sound weak but surviving is the most important thing in the beginning of a tournament, have some patice and your set over two pair will come.

Good luck

donny5k
09-23-2004, 10:49 PM
2 small reraises on the same street is a draw? What game do you play? This is a strong hand every time, but it's still hard to get away from since it might be 56, AK, or A5, but this is how mediocre players play their sets.

poboy
09-24-2004, 04:19 PM
My reasoning here is if someone is on a set, he doesn't just re-raise a small amount with draws on the board. He goes all-in right there to protect his hand, at least that is how I would play it. If he's drawing he doesn't want to commit his whole stack but would still like the Hero to drop his hand on the flop, hence the second re-raise. As for someone playing TPTK like that, possible but unlikely. Again I think the villain would want to protect his hand, and make a much larger re-raise. The only reason to bet small here is because you haven't made your hand yet, a draw. Of course this all assumes that the villain is a thinking player and understands the importance of protecting his big hands. With the information given, or rather lack of information we don't know what type of player he is. So without a read you have to give the benefit of the doubt to him.

bass
09-24-2004, 04:23 PM
Yes, just because you can get into the pot cheap dosn't mean you have to play the hand.

10 handed <font color="red">A6o sucks</font>, fold it.

wjmooner
09-24-2004, 04:30 PM
At a full table A6 most definitely does not suck when you flop top two pair.

His raises scream strength, but that could very easily be A5, 56, AK, AQ, even AJ.

When he remin raises I would probably push on the flop if I don't feel like I can get away from the hand on the river.

I always muck A6, but let's not overstate its general suckiness.

C

wjmooner
09-24-2004, 04:36 PM
If you can really get away from this on the turn because you think he completed his straight then you think he is re-raising you with 34, 47, or 89. I don't think I'm going to get away from this hand because a 7 hits. Much more likely, but not probable, if a heart hits.

C

poboy
09-24-2004, 05:04 PM
I don't see your reasoning here. Why are 3 suits scarier to you than 3 connected cards, they both beat 2 pair. He limped into the hand, something alot of people will do with 89 /images/graemlins/heart.gif and even 34 /images/graemlins/heart.gif though less likely. He probably doesn't have 47 /images/graemlins/heart.gif as I would like to believe people won't play 47 suited or not, but they do. Had the flop been rainbow , than yeah I couldn't see him drawing at just the straight(but again they do). With the 2 draws together he has a reason to stay in the hand.

wjmooner
09-24-2004, 05:24 PM
I would assume that an open ended straight draw would not be raising and then reraising. Wouldn't even a very bad player just take the next card after the raise?

This of course applies to the hearts as well, but the 7 is not a scare card here. In fact, even if they are all limping the only realistic hand is 89, although I suppose 34 or 47 are possible. And he wouldn't have raised and reraised with a gut shot. That's why I said the 7 wouldn't have scared me.

Being scared of a straight after the action of this hand is just looking for ghosts.

Edit (This isn't to say that 567 isn't a scary board, just to say that the 7 isn't a scary card because of the specific betting of this hand)

C

bass
09-24-2004, 08:13 PM
I should of been a little more specific. The 2 pair didn't suck. What got him in trouble was a starting hand that at a full table, with several other callers was not was weak to say the least. Once the 2 pair was there I would say it was played right.

The lesson to learn from this is the dangers of a weak starting hand.