PDA

View Full Version : How to Improve on Playing AKo weakly like this?

parappa
09-23-2004, 03:34 PM
This is a sort of repeating disaster/leak for me. If I had position on the flop I'd probably take a shot at the pot on the flop. Since I've checked it on the flop and the turn doesn't help, I think I should fold the turn. I don't know why I called, other than I didn't feel like the other player had much. But when he put me to the test on the river, I couldn't call.

How do I improve my play here?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t1690)
Button (t1090)
Hero (t1565)
BB (t3655)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, Button folds, Hero raises to t250, BB calls t200.

Flop: 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks.

Turn: J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB bets t100, Hero calls t100.

River: 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB bets t300, Hero folds.

jah0550
09-23-2004, 03:44 PM
I think you played that hand weak/tight. I would have bet on the flop to at least see where you stood. If he raises or even calls, you have to put him on a 9,5, or 4. I might have pushed all-in PF to steal his blind, so you can avoid a situation like this. It looks like you were trying to hang around for the money. Don't be afraid to take 4th, because I'm sure that it has happened many times before. Hell, I just took 4 straight 4ths. These things happen.

rybones
09-23-2004, 03:50 PM
I have to agree witht the last post, I think you need to bet the pot on the flop! My guess is the other guy had J,x and your check let him get there. Alternatively it is possible he hit his set on the flop and you would have been called, but at this level I think most bet when they have their set. I read his check on the flop as weakness and feel you could have won the pot with a bet.

as usual, these are just my thoughts.

ryan

parappa
09-23-2004, 04:00 PM
Yes, I've got him on a Jack as well. I've decided a pre-flop push isn't really worth the trouble here...too much risk for not enough reward.

If I had position, I would've bet the pot on the flop. My problem arises when I bet the pot on the flop and am called. I feel lost on the turn. Checking on the flop is an attempt to avoid that, but looking at all my AK hands, I'm starting to think a pot-sized flop bet is the ticket, followed by a check/fold on the turn if I get called.

rybones
09-23-2004, 04:05 PM
just another thought, I find this style of play better of stars as the pot size bet at party really damages your stack. At starts if I get called and then have to check/fold I am still in the hunt.

ryan

RobGW
09-23-2004, 04:14 PM
A preflop raise followed by a flop check when all low cards come out. What would your opponent put you on? Now another check on the turn, I would throw out a bet with any 2 not just if I caught the J. Given your checks, you probably should have just folded when he initially bet. I think the best play would have been to bet the flop strong to make it look like you have an overpair. If you do check and he checks behind you, then come out betting on the turn and represent the J. If he doesn't have it then he will probably fold, if he does then he will call/raise and you can let it go from there.

Patriarch
09-23-2004, 04:23 PM
You gotta hit it hard. Bet the pot on the flop, honestly 70% of the time he'd fold there, and if he continues you can be pretty sure you're beat, so fold unimproved on the turn.

Potowame
09-23-2004, 04:28 PM
This very close to a push preflop, or at least make it 325 to go. at a Loose table you are going to get call with a lot of hands from the BB with crap for that small of a raise. and AKo is not that far ahead of any hand other than a weaker ace or King to let them in cheaply.

You gave up on the flop, fold to his turn bet. And tell yourself next time I am pushing all-in preflop here or making a pot size bet on the flop.

NegativeEV
09-23-2004, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm starting to think a pot-sized flop bet is the ticket, followed by a check/fold on the turn if I get called.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play it this way 85% of the time and I'm confident that it is correct. The other 15% I'll either check the flop and fold the turn or I'll fire on both the flop and the turn depending on player reads.

nolanfan34
09-23-2004, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm starting to think a pot-sized flop bet is the ticket, followed by a check/fold on the turn if I get called.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the bet needs to be pot sized, but should be close. If you led out with like 400 on the flop, you're making it pretty dang hard for someone who also just has overcards to call. If you get called and don't improve on the turn, you saved yourself about 250 chips by not betting the pot on the flop.

Think about it, is your opponent likely to call a 400 bet, but lay it down for 600? Probably doesn't matter much either way, so you might as well save a few chips from the times you get called and are likely beat.

Potowame
09-23-2004, 05:05 PM
I think that this is very sound advise, but I would add 1 thing. If you play AK this way you should also play your over pairs the same way to not leak out information of your holdings.

so if you where pot size betting with overs and make a stab at this pot with 3/4 pot bet, a very good player will pick up on this and put you to the test.

ddubois
09-23-2004, 05:39 PM
The amount you bet should be more a function of the board than your holding. On a JdTc7d board, bet the pot (or more), on a Kc2d7h board, half the pot might be enough.

Potowame
09-23-2004, 05:49 PM
isn't that leaking info? Ie I am trying to protect a vernable hand and I have a monster and want a call. where if you bet the same in each case and in the case that you totally miss there is no read on your holdings.

ddubois
09-23-2004, 06:27 PM
No. Unless you are worried your opponent can't read the board, and your bet size will clue him in that it's two-toned. /images/graemlins/smile.gif