PDA

View Full Version : Good play or just a lucky one?

WSOP Bound
09-23-2004, 01:51 PM
This play has been on my mind for the last day or so. Hopefully you great players out there can help me settle my opinion on this one.

Scenerio: Heads up in a $50 SNG, I have 7200 chips opp. has 2800. I am on the button (SB), and opp is in big blind. Blinds are at 300-600

Preflop: Dealt 6c-6s, I push 1200 chips, in an attempt to steal the blinds. Opp comes back over the top with 1800 chips. After consideration I decide that the pot size requires that I push him all in here. After playing all tourney with him I put him on High cards. Being a fairly aggresive player he would have pushed all his chips in on the reraise with any reasonable. I had eaten his chip stack away leaning hard on his blinds, so this strengthens my assesment that this could just be a case of defending his blinds with a so-so hand. He calls the all-in and flips over Ah - Qh. Flop comes down As - 6d - 10h. Turn is a blank, and river brings me quad-sixes.

So the outcome was great and I walked away a winner. Rudementary odds calculations in my head tell me that these hands were about even preflop, with my 6s slightly ahead. The thought that keeps going through my mind is that I got lucky, this was a horrible play. With my dominating chip stack should I have waited for a better hand to go for the kill?

Wayfare
09-23-2004, 02:18 PM
Wrong forum, right play. Unless you can put him on a higher pocket pair, the fold to this raise would be a gigantic mistake.

Tilt
09-23-2004, 02:45 PM
Standard play. With smaller blinds you could fold or just call. With blinds that big you cant be as patient. As to the question good or lucky, i think luck has an awful lot to do with heads up outcomes when the blinds are huge. Its not going to be many hands before there is an all in. Uusally if anyone wins back to back all ins the thing ends.

WSOP Bound
09-23-2004, 03:45 PM
Thank you for your response. I'm a decent limit player, but just trying to get into the NL game. Being up to put all your chips in at any given time sure makes you think a lot harder about hands that you easily would have called down in limit.