PDA

View Full Version : Luck is good

onegymrat
09-23-2004, 01:44 PM
I didn't like the way I played these hands, but the poker gods were still kind. 9/18 Commerce, full game, aggressive.

<font color="blue">Hand 1: <font color="blue"> </font> </font> EP (Tricky and a slightly lag) limps. Folded to me in SB with 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/club.gif. I chose to limp. BB (above average player) raises. We call. Three to the flop.

FLOP: Q /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif

I check. BB bets. We both call. Three to the turn.

TURN: 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Checked around. I plan on betting regardless of the river.

RIVER: 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet blind. BB calls. Tricky folds. I win and BB doesn't show.

<font color="blue">Hand 2:</font> I raise UTG with A /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif. Only Tricky and BB calls. Three to the flop.

FLOP: K /images/graemlins/heart.gif8 /images/graemlins/club.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet. Tricky raises. BB folds. I call. Headsup.

TURN: 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet. Tricky calls.

RIVER: Q /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet. Tricky thinks a while and calls to show 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and says, "I knew I had you!"

Comments and instruction appreciated.

QuikSand
09-23-2004, 04:16 PM
Sorry for the slight sidetrack - but my comment is on tricky's play in Hand 2:

I'm aware of the argument that calling one bet on the river shouldn't be an impediment with any sort of hand -- but honestly, what could you possibly be playing that he'd beat with his nines? If, by some chance, you missed all the overcards out there, then you straightened it out (as you did).

Honestly, is that a defensible call? Hoping you have something like sevens or an absurdly weak ace?

(Players like me who are sometimes too gunshy to bet the river with a "pretty good" hand would do well to note this kind of thing -- not that your holding was weak, but this guy called the river bet with basically no shot)

Philuva
09-23-2004, 05:07 PM
Value betting is to the 00's what semi-bluffing was to the 90's.

onegymrat
09-23-2004, 05:22 PM
Hi QS,

A friend of mine chastised me for both hands, therefore, I had to get more opinions. Because Tricky was a pretty unique player, I decided to play on. If he were most other sensible players, I would have mucked on the flop. Though loose and aggressive, he wasn't entirely awful (not that this hand displayed any of his skill). I put him on A-8 or small pocket. He probably would have reraise pf with face cards. I am surprised he didn't pop me back with 9-9. Respect? hee hee His call is still clearly stupid.

I didn't want to get pushed around in this hand. I found that I had to break out of that weak-tight mode a long time ago, and am still working on it. You'll find yourself getting pushed around and folding winners. However, to play back will be completely dependent on your opposition.

Looking back, I should have reraised the flop and led on the turn. I don't know why I stopped and go with this schmuck.

STLantny
09-23-2004, 08:05 PM
If BB is tricky, why not raise the flop with 55. Why check the turn.

2nd hand, nice.