PDA

View Full Version : Good Play, or lucky one?

WSOP Bound
09-23-2004, 01:27 PM
This play has been on my mind for the last day or so. Hopefully you great players out there can help me settle my opinion on this one.

Scenerio: Heads up in a $50 SNG, I have 7200 chips opp. has 2800. I am on the button (SB), and opp is in big blind. Blinds are at 300-600

Preflop: Dealt 6c-6s, I push 1200 chips, in an attempt to steal the blinds. Opp comes back over the top with 1800 chips. After consideration I decide that the pot size requires that I push him all in here. After playing all tourney with him I put him on High cards. Being a fairly aggresive player he would have pushed all his chips in on the reraise with any reasonable. I had eaten his chip stack away leaning hard on his blinds, so this strengthens my assesment that this could just be a case of defending his blinds with a so-so hand. He calls the all-in and flips over Ah - Qh. Flop comes down As - 6d - 10h. Turn is a blank, and river brings me quad-sixes.

So the outcome was great and I walked away a winner. Rudementary odds calculations in my head tell me that these hands were about even preflop, with my 6s slightly ahead. The thought that keeps going through my mind is that I got lucky, this was a horrible play. With my dominating chip stack should I have waited for a better hand to go for the kill?

Sadat X
09-23-2004, 01:35 PM
The 600 rasie preflop is extremely suspicious - proceed with caution.

Bob T.
09-23-2004, 01:59 PM
There is a tournament forum, and a no-limit forum. You might get more knowledgeable responses in either of those places.

I would have bet him all in immediately, instead of making a limit size raise. After you bet 600, I don't see any other way with this hand than putting him all in. You have too much to fold, and the pot is too big.

WSOP Bound
09-23-2004, 02:10 PM
Thanks for you your response. I have reposted it to the no-limit forum.

As for the all-in, my initial bet was a blind steal attempt. I didn't really want to showdown with these cards, but figured that if I was forced to then these were okay enough to try with. I did push him all-in after his re-raise. But I see a point in what you were saying. My initial bet put me in a situation where I had to try to bust him. The hand was fairly un-foldable at that point, so why not think a step ahead and just put it all-in right away.