PDA

View Full Version : game selection

gamblore99
09-23-2004, 01:18 PM
when selecting a game at party poker. Is it always better to pick games that have higher average pots? (all you know is average pot size for your decicison)

bdk3clash
09-23-2004, 01:30 PM
By default, I try to sit in games with average pot sizes of 10 BBs or more. I have no reason to think that this is optimal, but it seems like a pretty good approximation for a "good game."

I also put really bad players on my buddy list, and I'll sit in games with them even if the average pot size is smaller.

Last night there was a 2/4 that had an average pot size of about 14-15 BBs for a few hours. From the few hands I observed, most of this was due to one player betting and raising at almost every opportunity. The wait list was ginormous, and he tapped out down about 60 BBs before I could get in the game.

Sadat X
09-23-2004, 01:32 PM
I personally think so.

If you're a good shorthanded player, a friend of mine has another system that may work well for you:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=inet&Number=914402&Forum=

balkii
09-23-2004, 01:44 PM
not neccesarily. sometimes huge AVG pots mean there is a maniac at the table, sometimes it means it is just a very aggressive game. the best games, however, are loose and passive(this is indisputable). these characteristics tend to produce medium size pots. mason has written about this in poker essays I.

that link is a very good idea for getting a good table. personally, my method of game selection is: click join waitlist, select join first available game. if the game is especially bad i will get up but most of the time I just stay there.

Bob T.
09-23-2004, 02:33 PM
I agree with your friend.

If the waiting lists are long, I find that just starting tables, frequently gets you into a good table. The oppoenents that you frequently get are the ones that want action NOW, and those are the kind that will play too many hands too far.

Bob T.
09-23-2004, 02:35 PM
By default, I try to sit in games with average pot sizes of 10 BBs or more. I have no reason to think that this is optimal, but it seems like a pretty good approximation for a "good game."

Wow, I figure that anything above 6 BBs is beatable in the right seat, and anything above 7 BBs is beatable from anywhere. I don't see many games over 10 at 5-10, but when I do, it is usually time to lose some sleep or be late to something /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

bdk3clash
09-23-2004, 03:10 PM
I play $2-4 for now, and tables with average pot sizes of $40 or more are not hard to find. I have noticed that $5-10 tables don't seem to have as high of an average pot size in terms of BBs. $3-6 seems roughly the same as $2-4 lately, but I could be wrong.

gamblore99
09-23-2004, 03:27 PM
thats an interesting idea, but it seems like a lot of work and my shorthanded game is very inexperienced compared to my full ring game. and its a lot more work.

looks like ill just stick to looking for those tables with big juicy pots. thanks guys

crockett
09-23-2004, 04:10 PM
A couple questions.

1. Does anyone else use this 10BB rule! I play at Poker Stars and tables with avg. pot size of 10BB or larger are very rare. And I'm stilling working my way through .25/.5.

2. Someone mentioned clicking on waiting list for first availabe table on Party? Is this true? Do you log on and actually have to wait to play?

I've been considering switching to Party but was thinking about waiting.

At Poker Stars it is very easy to find tables with 9 (sometimes 8) and just jump on. Also, I select by percentage seeing the flop. In the 50's is great. If your really lucky you'll find a table that is over 60. I understand Party doesn't display that stat.

I also tend to do better at tables with lots of medium pots. Tables where 2 or 3 are going bonkers just bore me. You have to wait so long for your big chance and even then suckouts are common. I like the real loose and real passive calling stations.

Lost Wages
09-23-2004, 04:31 PM
pot size of 10BB or larger are very rare

Same at Party

Do you log on and actually have to wait to play?

Yes, pick "Fisrt Available Table With at Least 9 Players" and you will have to "wait" approximately 0.1 seconds.

Move to Party when you are playing .50/$1. The games are much looser than Stars.

Lost Wages

JinX11
09-23-2004, 06:39 PM
I'm with bd3kclash on this one - games with avg pot size >10BB is precisely what I look for. At the 2/4 and 3/6 levels, I have found these type games to be very abundant on Party. Nowhere near as good on Pacific or Absolute.