PDA

View Full Version : One Hand: Tournies aren't for everybody.

tripdad
09-23-2004, 11:27 AM
first of all, i am a winning tournament hold'em player. i've only played in 6 or so online and haven't monied, but i've played in around 50 live and am well in the black.

i've come to the realization that tournaments are just not my cup of tea. sure, it's exciting to invest a small amount of money for a chance at a big prize. we all know, however, that for even the very best players, that prize is fleeting.

in cash games, one can make a mistake...whether it be a bad read, busted bluff, whatever...and can easily overcome it. in cash games, bad beats are commonplace and expected, but can be easily surmountable.

tournies are different in this aspect. the most common occurance in tournies??? you accumulate chips to many times the initial buy-in/starting stack, only to lose it all or the lion's share on one hand. one hand. maybe you take a bad beat. maybe you make a crucial error. maybe you just run into a better hand. one hand.

i simply have an issue with that whole concept. i don't like spending 2, 3, 4 hours or more playing like Stu Unger only to pull a Mike Matusaw(sp?) or lose my 6:1 favorite and having all my chips, or most of them, in front of someone i feel is an inferior player.

maybe i'll have a change of heart and begin playing tournies again some day(maybe even soon). maybe i won't. for now, i'll keep playing hold'em cash games and take my bad beats and make my inevitable mistakes and still make my 3 or 4 Big Blinds per 100 hands.

cheers!

SossMan
09-23-2004, 11:37 AM
I don't disagree with you, Trip. However, the thing I love most about tourneys is the competitive nature. In a cash game, someone can have a mountain of chips in front of them and still be in the hole, wheras in a tourney, it's concrete who did better than who (not played better per se, but finished better). Maybe it's my ego. Maybe I'm a compulsive gambler always looking for a big score. Maybe it's the fact that I have an actual job and don't depend on poker for primary income and can therefore handle the variance. Maybe it's all three.

Either way, your posts will be missed in the MTT.

-SossMan

tripdad
09-23-2004, 01:40 PM
i'm competitive too, Soss. what i like most about cash games is i can truly manipulate and set up my opponent over a period of time. when i am on my game, i can completely control every one of my opponents' play, which is quite empowering. it is a cat/mouse game, and that is where i get the most pleasure.

i appreciate your posts and will continue to read and probably post here as well, just with less frequency. i do still have dreams of riches at the WSOP like everyone else. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

cheers!