PDA

View Full Version : Would this be a good time to gamble?

two_dogs
09-23-2004, 08:19 AM
Party 20+2
5 Handed
Blinds 100/200
Hero is BB with second short stack t840 has 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
two biggest stacks around t2500 each are utg and utg+1
short stack t400 then mid stack t1680
utg and utg+1 fold
short stack pushes
mid stack calls
hero pushes
mid stacks types in hmmmm and folds
short stack has 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
flop is blanks but a 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif comes on the turn
i lose. thats poker
my question is this would this be a good situation to just call and gamble that I could get a little more out of the mid stack? I think it would be a bit of a gamble but considering my chip count and the blinds...

ChrisV
09-23-2004, 10:10 AM
No WAY. I would be ecstatic about getting mid stack to fold in this situation. You got it heads up with a smaller pair with dead money in the pot. It doesn't get a whole lot dreamier than that.

tallstack
09-23-2004, 11:23 AM
IMO, the push PF is by far the better way to have played this. If you call here, then how are you planning to get more chips out of the mid stack? Playing a mid pair out of position is not easy, since overcards are a probability on the flop. How many flops are you going to feel comfortable betting? Unless he hits some of the flop then he may not call your bet anyways, and if he does hit his hand then there is a good chance it will beat your hand.

I think you played it correctly here. You got the chips in when you have the best of it, and you added to your EV by getting the mid stack to fold.

SmileyEH
09-23-2004, 11:46 AM
Totally straightforward - i go all in PF in a heartbeat.

-SmileyEH