View Full Version : Free Card

craiga_uk
09-23-2004, 07:14 AM
Hi all,

Can someone please explain to me how the Free Card idea works?
I've tried a search of the forum, but there are SO many posts that talk about having used the free card, but I couldn't find an explaination /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks!

steveclaz
09-23-2004, 07:25 AM
The basic premise is that you raise on the flop and hope to get checked to on the turn - usually when you are on a draw - thereby costing you one extra small bet and hopefully being able to see 2 cards to complete your draw as cheaply as possible.

Doubtless someone will explain it better than me soon!

aces up
09-23-2004, 09:07 AM
that sounds about right, but I'll give a little more detail....
I think the term "free card" doesn't quite explain it perfectly, you are paying for that card by raising on a cheaper street(the flop) in order to get your opponent(s) to check to you on the more expensive street(the turn)

The only real time you can try for a free card is when you are in late position, because if you check from early position on the turn after raising on the flop, you can't be certain you will get the "free" card, and the reason it often works is because people often check to the raiser on the previous street, because by raising you have shown some strength

think thats all there really is to it.

craiga_uk
09-23-2004, 12:31 PM
Thanks guys,

I couldn't see how it was 'free' when you had to make a raise, but I understand the principle now.
Not sure how often I would be able to usefully apply it though.
Any suggestions?
I guess when I'm drawing to a flush/straight and I don't want to have to drop a load more chips to get the river... :-s

Seether
09-23-2004, 12:48 PM
I would say that it really isnt that good when you have a strong draw such as an OESD or FD since betting is normally +ev. When I normally go for the free card is when I have a gutshot+overs or some sort of backdoor draw and overs.

Sixth_Rule
09-23-2004, 01:15 PM
I think it most used by me when i have AK AQ AJ or KQ and i am in the last position. if the flop leaves me with two overcards,does not comtain a pair, is a rainbow or i have a three flush or gunshot then i will usually try for it.

pzhon
09-23-2004, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I couldn't see how it was 'free' when you had to make a raise,

[/ QUOTE ]
It isn't free. It costs you a small bet on the flop. If your opponent would bet into you on the turn, seeing the river would cost an extra big bet. It looks like you save because you put in less when you miss, but that is not the only benefit.

Raising on the flop shifts more of the betting to when you are a small underdog or the favorite. Even if you had to put in two extra bets on the flop to prevent the turn bet, you would still show a significant profit.

[ QUOTE ]
I guess when I'm drawing to a flush/straight and I don't want to have to drop a load more chips to get the river...

[/ QUOTE ]
It is rare that you are only drawing to a flush. You often have an overcard, and you may win by a runner-runner 2-pair or runner-runner trips. These mean you often are not much of an underdog at all on the flop. You shouldn't mind a lot of chips going in on the flop.

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=526706
Flop: K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif
K/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif 0.620 (TP)
9/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif 0.380 (Flush draw + runner-runner draws)

If you are a 62:38 underdog on the flop, you get back $0.76 from every dollar you put in on the flop, so bets on the flop cost 0.24 SB = 0.12 BB each.

About 80% of the time, 93s misses the flush on the turn, and has 8-14 outs on the river. Assuming 9 outs, each dollar on the turn only returns $0.41, so it costs $0.59. Having to call a big bet on the turn after missing costs 0.59 BB.

Even if you are often 3-bet on the flop, and sometimes bet into on the turn anyway, it may still be worth it to raise on the flop.

It's the right play because you win more on average. It has many side benefits, though. To some people, you will look like a complete maniac, particularly after you raise the river after catching running 3s. You will get paid off more when you play a big made hand aggressively.