PDA

View Full Version : Playing LAG is fun!

Guido
09-23-2004, 06:21 AM
Well after losing 200BB at 10/20 I decided to jump back to 5/10 to learn the blind stealing and blind defending stuff.

And boy that was fun! Open raising any A in the CO or button, hands like K7s and Q8s occasionally. A lot of those I would normally fold but it seems to work...

The blind defending part went pretty well. Hands I would normally fold, showed a small profit/hand together.

Although it was only one 2 hour session my stats were a lot better than usual when I look at a:

VP$IP of 21.30%
Folded BB to steal of 54.17%
Attempt to steal blinds of 36% (I know, a little high)
and a PFR of 14.98%

I will be back at 10/20 when I'm ready to destroy it /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Thanks a lot for all the help, especially Nate.

Guido

Trix
09-23-2004, 07:14 AM
This was my first thought too, then I lost like 50BBs the next day. Think I might actually be too loose now. Hope you have found the balance. Just reminding you that this is a small sample.

Guido
09-23-2004, 07:31 AM
I understand but after a while you need to loosen up. Just like in a full ring game you learn to play right and tight. Then you loosen up and start play more marginal hands. For me it's the same in SH games. I am/was playing very tight but very aggressive. Now that I have the experience and my postflop game seems decent I can start adding some hands. Because I play well post flop there isn't much that can go wrong. I don't know if I've found the right balance but it's probably in the right direction. Of course I understand that the sample size is rediculously small but I already see the difference just by looking at how often you can steal the blinds and how often they try to steal.

Thanks,

Guido

Cleveland Guy
09-23-2004, 08:23 AM
Glad you enjoyed your session Guido. I play at a lower level, but I love being the LAG at the table.

Just curious- what type of hands did you add to your blind defense? My one weakness is that I defend my BB to much, and need to cut back, so I'm curious to hear from the other end, what you felt was of good quality to ad.

Guido
09-23-2004, 08:40 AM
Normally I would defend with ATo+, A9s+, KJs+, KTo+, QJs+ and 66+. Now I'm trying to defend with A8o+, Axs, K8s+, Q8s+, J8s+, T9s, T9o, T8s, 89s, 89o, 67s something like that for now.

Guido

Cleveland Guy
09-23-2004, 09:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Normally I would defend with ATo+, A9s+, KJs+, KTo+, QJs+ and 66+. Now I'm trying to defend with A8o+, Axs, K8s+, Q8s+, J8s+, T9s, T9o, T8s, 89s, 89o, 67s something like that for now.

Guido

[/ QUOTE ]

That list looks pretty good. I will also defend with any PP ( too loose?) and I will also with many suited one gappers 108s, 97s , any Ace and Kxs. I also go down to K9o, Q10o, K7s, Q7s.

If I know the the raiser was a bit tighter I usually drop Kxs x<7 and any A, A <7.

It also depends on what the SB does of course.

Guido
09-23-2004, 10:13 AM
Yes forgot some. I also play any PP, T8s, 97s, K9o, QTo even Q9o.

I will add Q7s, K7s- later.

Guido

Cleveland Guy
09-23-2004, 10:18 AM
Another play I like, besides just defending is to 3-bet with a "non dominated hand".

If it's folded to the button who raises, and the SB folds, I might place the occasional 3 bet with a hand like 98s. If he caps, I slow down.

If he mucks, I don't mind, if he calls I usually put him on a medium PP or A or K (or 2 face).

So if the flop comes rags, or I hit a pair, I can usually bet, or check/raise and take it down right there.

Guy McSucker
09-23-2004, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If he mucks, I don't mind, if he calls I usually put him on a medium PP or A or K (or 2 face).

[/ QUOTE ]

Trouble is that he's getting 5-1 to call preflop and has position. Calling is by no means a sign he has a decent hand. Plus, the pot is now so big you have to play to the showdown with almost any part of the board, especially if you check-raise the flop, and what's more, 98 is going to be dominated by A8, K9 etc more often than you think.

I'm no blind defence expert, but I think it would be better to use this play very sparingly!

Guy.

Kicker
09-23-2004, 12:41 PM
Hi,

I don't post here much, but have been a long time reader.

I have switched from ring games to shorthanded, and my numbers are almost the same as yours. Not aggresive enough, too tight, not a lot of blind stealing and not enough blind defenses. I have read the questions and answers from your posts, and they have been VERY helpful. I am working on the same things as you do, and just wanted you to know that other readers find your questions helpful too. I am also playing 5/10, but I think I will stick stay on that level for a while.

Furthermore, it seems like you are working very hard with your game, and I would not be surprised if it came another 60k in 60days soon /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Good luck

Great posts!!

PS: I feel like a maniac at the table these days, do you have the same feeling?

FWIW

Cleveland Guy
09-23-2004, 12:52 PM
Good obersvation. I might try and track specicially times I use this. I do know it works good on certain players that I have certain notes on.

Guido
09-23-2004, 01:46 PM
Kicker,

Thank you for the kind words. I'm doing my best to improve as much as possible in 6-max games. I'm glad my questions are useful.

No I don't feel like a maniac because I only have to add some hands preflop. The rest is still the same.

Thanks,

Guido