PDA

View Full Version : A couple of hands for review

Percula
09-23-2004, 04:49 AM
$16 two table (10 per) 800 starting chips, I am in CO with QQ on the first hand, blinds 10/20. Six limpers, I flat call as these tend to get wild the first few hands, the SB calls and the BB raises to 79, UTG MP and SB and I all call.

Flop comes 83A rainbow, all check to the BB how bets 180, UTG folds, two callers (MP and SB) and I fold to the likely Ax that is in the hand. Turn is T, check, check, BB bets 269, call, call. River was 6, check, check, check. MP and SB muck and BB shows 99 to take down the pot.

Very next hand... I have AKo, several limpers and the guy from MP in the prior hand goes all in for 272 I raise to 400 and the other guy that was deep in the other hand also go all-in for his 272, then the UTG guy from the first hand flat calls. Flop comes AQx, I bet out 100 he raises all-in. I thought about it for nearly all my clock, but had to call with the pot odds and being totally crippled if I folded. K on the turn made my two pair over his AQ two pair.

Anyway, in the first hand I think I was to "careful" here knowing the valital nature of these first couple of rounds and in hindsight I lost to this same guy HU that I would have knocked out on the first hand. I had a hard time putting him on a A with the flop bet, but the other two I could easily put them on the "slow play" or weak ace call it down thing. So was the first hand a good laydown or too weak?

The second hand I was in too deep to fold to his two pair even though I knew that is what he had. I have played this guy several times in the past in these (we are regulars and generally end up ITM together and have faced off HU several times with it about even, slightly in my favor). Not considering the pots odds or being pretty much pot committed, was I too aggressive and risk taking with this hand?

MrFeelNothin
09-23-2004, 05:01 AM
QQ hand- RAISE preflop. Letting 6 limpers in is a huge mistake as even if the flop comes all unders you have no way of knowing your ahead. However, the BB saved you from your mistake in this hand, once he raised and got all those callers there was plenty of money in the pot. Its clear you have the best hand here, you HAVE to reraise big here to get it headsup with the BB.

2nd hand- it would help if you could post a hand history for this one as I really dont understand what was going on. I have no idea how many chips you or your opponents had which is crucial information so I really cant give any advice on this hand. However, it sounds like a good chunk of your chips went in preflop, in which case there is no way you can get away from your TPTK here. Don't know though, as I'm not really sure if you were short or deep.

Percula
09-23-2004, 06:48 AM
Under noraml situations I would have made it 3+xBB to go on the QQ hand, but I was 90% sure that someone would raise before the flop and wanted to look like one of the sheep calling off his chips, 9 out of 10 times the first hand in these is raised and gets wild. I only play the first 1-5 hands in these with big PP and generally want to see trips or better on the flop. Just too many suck outs on these first couple of hands (someone raising with 73o only to hit a boat on the flop type things). Generally by the end of the first 10 hands half the table is gone or down to less than 300 chips.

I really doubt I could have taken it down if I had raised preflop or taken it down on the flop, all three of these players showed no sense in their betting and called just about anything regardless of what they had, i.e. why two of them went out on the second hand. I would have got first if it weren't for the last guy (winner of the first hand) hitting runner, runner trips, runner, runner str8, and runner, runner flush in the last three hands of HU, I came in 2:1 and had him down to 2xBB and in three hands lost.

On the second hand, the site does not provide hand histories. Both of the players from the first hand had 272 with the majority of the table with 800, big stack of ~1800 and the last guy that flat called the same as me as we both bailed on the big flop bet on the first hand. There is no doubt that I was pot commited and likely would have been crippled and out if I had folded preflop or postflop. I have came back to win these with less than 300 chips, but that is rare and lucky on my part to do that. Basically I need to come to the final table with >1000 chips to money and >1500 (more like 2000) to get HU.

I guess my bottom line question on the QQ hand is was I tight/weak laying down QQ based on the super wild/aggressive style of these games?

And I on the second AKo hand was I "tilting" oo risking too much on a very beatable hand?