PDA

View Full Version : Did this player make the right call?

Bigwig
09-23-2004, 02:53 AM
No, it's some shame thing where I did it and now I'm pretending it's someone else. Did this dude make the right call (as he claims)?

Info is generally close.

$30 NL Pokerstars BB is t200

UTG (t4500)
Villian (t4500)
Button (t1700)
SB (t1500)
Hero--BB (t1300)

UTG folds.
Villian calls 200.
Button folds.
SB folds.
Hero has K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero raises to 1500 (all-in)

Villain calls 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I lost.

Dude insisted that he made the right call. In fact, after the hand, he claimed he made a 'great call.'

Now, I haven't won any WPT events, but this guy is nuts, thinking he made a great call, right?

durron597
09-23-2004, 03:01 AM
He's getting 1.4:1 on his call, and he's ahead preflop. Given that you pushed with K9s (a hand that leaves a little to be desired), clearly you have a wide range of hands that you would push with here, which means the call is fine, since he is a slight favorite to win the hand, and he's not putting his tournament life on the line.

While I like the call, I like your push too. Bad luck today.

MrFeelNothin
09-23-2004, 03:04 AM
After UTG folds(the only stack villain should be afraid of) this is a clear push with his ducks. Then you would easily be able to fold your K9. Seeing as he just called, calling your all-in is pretty automatic. When you have 4500 chips, its great to be able to take a coin-flip to bust someone for only 1100. In your position I would have pushed K9 if it was folded to me. However, if the big stack is limping I can't push, because it is so few chips for him to call me and K9 doesn't exactly dominate many hands.

Bigwig
09-23-2004, 03:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He's getting 1.4:1 on his call, and he's ahead preflop. Given that you pushed with K9s (a hand that leaves a little to be desired), clearly you have a wide range of hands that you would push with here, which means the call is fine, since he is a slight favorite to win the hand, and he's not putting his tournament life on the line.

While I like the call, I like your push too. Bad luck today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there's a 'wide range,' but not close to any 2 with the stack sizes. Without question, this hand is in my bottom range. By my calculation, there's about a 30% chance I have an overpair.

Meh, I guess that still would make it a 'correct' call. But barely. And wouldn't it have been better for him to raise all three of us?

durron597
09-23-2004, 03:15 AM
You know, in retrospect I think it's better to check and see a flop, since the big stack is allowing you to do so. You should think about what he's limping with... he probably has a PP or an Ace, probably Kings are in there too, Queens and Jacks start to push it unless he's limping all the time. That means if you push, he is correct to call. However if you check, you can get him to fold more hands than you could preflop, or you may pair up and have a bigger chance of knowing that you are geting the money in when you are ahead.

MrFeelNothin
09-23-2004, 03:19 AM
As I replied, yes, the obvious play would have been for him to raise it right from the start. However, it is far less than a 30% chance that you have an overpair here if you are going in with K9(and most likely some worse holdings as well). There are 72 possible combinations of higher pairs. The possible combinations of AK, AQ, AJ, A10 and A9 alone already surpass that. Assume you are going in on any A, almost any K, QJ, Q10, Q9, J10, J9, 109, possibly etc., and it looks like far more than a 70% chance that he has a coin flip situation which he can easily afford to take.

rachelwxm
09-23-2004, 09:39 AM
I think villain is making a mistake to let you see flop for free and you do not capitalize that. I would need better standard to push against a limper as compared to if I am fist in since 1. Their hand is worth limping 2. There is always chance that he is limping with monster and would like to take your money. JMO.