PDA

View Full Version : How much is "reraising the size of the pot"?

GlemZurg
09-23-2004, 02:41 AM
Say the pot is $1 and someone bets $1. The pot is now $2. I move my slider to $2 for a pot-sized reraise. I just realized that I've only raised *them* by $1.

I've made the pot $4 and the bettor only needs to call $1 to stay in. I'm giving 4:1 pot odds (good enough for chasing a flush). /images/graemlins/blush.gif

To give the bettor 2:1 odds I'd need to reraise the pot by $4. The pot would then be $6 and they would need to pay $3 to stay ($4 - their original $1 bet) and now have 2:1 pot odds.

Do I have this right?

Thanks,
Justin

GlemZurg
09-23-2004, 03:04 AM
I worked out the math. If you want to give the highest bettor 2:! odds (and you haven't contributed yet) your bet needs to be:

bet = size of pot + (2 x highest bet)

or

bet = size of pot + (2 x your current call to stay in)

Justin

GlemZurg
09-23-2004, 03:26 AM
And to give highest bettor 3:1 odds (reraise "half" the pot):

bet = 1/2 size of pot + (3/2 x highest bet)

Justin

GlemZurg
09-23-2004, 03:42 AM
This reraising formula even works if you are reraised back.

Say you bet $4 dollars to make a $6 pot and the bettor bets $4 dollars (calling $3 and reraising $1).

Now the pot is $10 and you need to call $1 to stay in. If you decide to reraise the pot back:

bet = size of pot + (2 x amount you have to call)
bet = $10 + (2 x $1)
bet = $12

Now the pot is $22 and the bettor must call $11 to stay in giving him 2:1 odds again. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Justin

Cannes
09-23-2004, 04:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Say you bet $4 dollars to make a $6 pot and the bettor bets $4 dollars (calling $3 and reraising $1).

[/ QUOTE ]

Not possible. Min raise for villain here is $3 making his total bet for the street $7 so far

GlemZurg
09-23-2004, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Min raise for villain here is $3 making his total bet for the street $7 so far

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true psychology-wise. But money in the pot is no longer his.

Say he only has a flush draw. He can fold (forfeiting the pot) or call (~4:1 odds of taking the pot).

Is it profitable for him to call?

He may regret betting in the first place, but if he has the right pot odds to see the next card, calling is the profitable (and correct) play.

And what's good for him is bad for us.

Justin