PDA

View Full Version : pocket 8s in BB, flopped trips

Lauren
09-23-2004, 01:20 AM
I'm dealt pocket 8s in the big blind. I flopped trip 8s. Was it appropriate to bet out in the position I was in (considering the cards in the flop) and then 3 betting?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, SB calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO folds, SB calls.

Turn: (10.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (12.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 14.50 BB

nothumb
09-23-2004, 01:27 AM
I would not raise pocket 8's preflop from the blinds here.

On the flop, you have only 2 players left, and you are facing one with 2 bets cold. I would rather call, hoping to raise the turn, perhaps giving CO a chance to give me some more money. I don't think 3-betting is awful; however, SB's checkraise indicates he will probably lead the turn.

NT

InchoateHand
09-23-2004, 02:03 AM
I think betting out on this flop is the best opportunity to get money into the pot. Given the playing style of your likely opponents, a lot of As and Ks are going to call, and anyone without those hands would have checked behind anyway. Don't worry about fancy play here, just pump it.
The three bet was probably fine--one more sb from SB as opposed to one more sb from CO.

nice hand.

detruncate
09-23-2004, 02:05 AM
I check my option pf. The flop raise is probably not useful. Calling more likely collects an overcall and allows you to raise the turn. You're going to face CO with 2 bets at some point, so might as well give him a chance to put a bit more money in while you have the chance. The board is not particularly scary. My hand is strong. I'm content to risk a turn card.