PDA

View Full Version : Older WSOP on ESPN-Classic right now

MicroBob
09-23-2004, 12:38 AM
I remember a thread awhile back where a few people were complaining that the only 'old' WSOP coverage that ESPN showed was from the show Cheap-Seats.
But they are actually showing the final-table of an older WSOP right now.

Not sure what year it is.
but Harrington is among the final 3 (without the bad hat)
I think he won it in 1989 but I'm not sure....
he also made a final-table sometime in the 90's (1993 maybe??) as well I think.

Dick Van Patten is doing the analysis.

Anyway, maybe this will be the beginning of a trend for ESPN-Classic to show older WSOP episodes.

pshreck
09-23-2004, 12:50 AM
Its 1995.

Pretty crazy hearing the commentary without knowing the hole cards.... pretty interesting just watching without knowing the hole cards.

MicroBob
09-23-2004, 12:59 AM
It's interesting watching without the hole-cards...but DVP's commentary is awful.
He is excessively concerned about a full-house once the board pairs.

Daliman
09-23-2004, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's interesting watching without the hole-cards...but DVP's commentary is awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the Van Patten doesn't fall far from the Van tree...

Army Eye
09-23-2004, 03:51 AM
That was some scary commentary by Dick Van Patten. He basically assumes someone has the nuts on every hand.

pshreck
09-23-2004, 04:20 AM
Just watched the last 15 minutes of it but laughed so hardly...

As soon as goldfarb or whoever goes all in (on the last hand), he says he has an overpair (simply because he also raised preflop)... as if its the only time this would ever be done heads up. My first instinct was AK or something... indeed I think he had AJ and Dan's top pair took it down.

Haha in the commentary after... he actually ASKS the guy whether Dan made the pair on the flop or the river.... implying there is a chance Dan calls an all in with two middle cards that dont pair the flop at all.

Kevmath
09-23-2004, 09:06 AM
Starting this week, and for the next few weeks from Monday-Wednesday at 11:59pm Classic is airing their old WSOP/USPC/WPO events. This week they did 1993-1995 (filled with bad DVP commentary) Next week it's the 1996 USPC and 97-98 WSOP.

Kevin...

scarr
09-23-2004, 11:01 AM
I can't wait to see Stu Unger in '97(?) and the Johnny Chan one shown in Rounders.

And we complain about the WSOP broadcasts now! Man these classics are really bad productions. Makes the new ones
look awesome.

The interviews after they go out are pretty good, but the commentary during play is mutable.

-scarr

barrett
09-23-2004, 11:12 AM
I'm pretty sure that was Mason sitting in the crowd from what I saw when the camera panned over a few times. I might take a screenshot later to post. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kevmath
09-23-2004, 11:16 AM
Unfortunately, they're not showing the WSOP's of the 80's, they're just going from 1993-2003.

Kevin...

27offsuit
09-24-2004, 12:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Its 1995.

Pretty crazy hearing the commentary without knowing the hole cards.... pretty interesting just watching without knowing the hole cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

By "interesting", you mean "incredibly boring" right?

I was cracking up watching that.........until I fell asleep.
VanPatten's a pimp, though. He taught his whole family how to gamble.

zzxjoanw
09-24-2004, 10:10 AM
Did ESPN just never cover the '96 WSOP? I was kinda hoping to see Huck Seed play...

wayabvpar
09-24-2004, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was laughable. It was like DVP just learned how to read the board, and was proudly showing off his new skill. Got a kick out of seeing Action Dan back in the day.