PDA

View Full Version : bet da river?

Chris Daddy Cool
09-22-2004, 10:15 PM
party poker 15/30 5 handed at the moment

button openraises. i call in the SB with 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/club.gif. BB calls.

Flop: 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I check. BB bets. Button raises. I 3-bet. BB calls. Button calls.

Turn: 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet. BB calls. Button calls.

River: K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I check.

imitation
09-23-2004, 12:59 AM
Yes, fold to a raise?.?

Zele
09-23-2004, 08:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
button openraises. i call in the SB with 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I right in assuming you would not have made this call in a 1/2 (or 2/5) blind structure?

I agree bet the river if you are comfortable folding to a raise. However, at the risk of a cliche, I think it's close.

chio
09-23-2004, 11:14 AM
i like checking the river here against 2 opponents

realistically, the hands you can value bet against are 33, 44, 66, 77, 88, or A2, and even if your opponents were calling stations, it's still hard to put both their holdings in this range

you lose to a K, flush, higher PP, and A9, and split with any other nine

time to check and evaluate. what was the action after you checked?

Chris Daddy Cool
09-23-2004, 12:52 PM
i checked and it got checked through and MHIG. forgot what the the other two had. i think bb had middle pair and button was pushing his overcards

imitation
09-23-2004, 04:34 PM
Usually I do check here, but thats because i'm a weak pansy, but I honestly believe it is a value bet against more than 1 player if you can lay down to a raise, but I never feel like I can...because i'm never that confident in my reading ability so I usually check/call.

Chris Daddy Cool
09-23-2004, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
because i'm never that confident in my reading ability so I usually check/call.

[/ QUOTE ]

ever notice how much less you win when you check and call as opposed to betting out yourself?

imitation
09-23-2004, 07:01 PM
Yeh I know betting the river is one of my weaknesses, actually more betting the right rivers...

danderso8
09-23-2004, 08:02 PM
In small blind with open raiser from the button? Fold or raise preflop. Calling significantly increases the chance that the BB will call, which in turn significantly increases the chance that somebody will make a hand (or even high card) better than you. Having him in there is nice if you hit the straight or flush, but with only two opponents, you don't have the odds to be playing for that.

But to answer your question, I like the river check. there's a lot of ways for you to be behind, so you don't want to have to call a raise.

--dan

jfresh
09-23-2004, 10:06 PM
I don't see that much of a problem with check/calling rivers sometimes. As long as you pick the right times (i.e. still value-betting where you are confident), there will be times where your opponent will bluff a hand that he would not have called a bet with. I think check-calling the river is under-rated.

imitation
09-23-2004, 10:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

But to answer your question, I like the river check. there's a lot of ways for you to be behind, so you don't want to have to call a raise.

--dan

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't have to?