PDA

View Full Version : bay area baseball

Chris Daddy Cool
09-22-2004, 10:12 PM
the playoffs are almost around and my two teams, the Oakland A's and San Fran Giants are in good position to make it in.

Anybody want to tell me why they WON'T make it?

brassnuts
09-22-2004, 11:59 PM
Because they're always right up there in the playoffs and never do anything about it.

... this coming from an As and Giants fan.

Chris Daddy Cool
09-23-2004, 12:09 AM
i'm talking about strictly whether or not they make it in the playoffs

M2d
09-23-2004, 01:49 AM
I can tell you why they shouldn't make it. The Giants have, hands down, the worst fans in baseball.

I just got back from the game tonight. my section was Stadium Club right behind the Giants dugout. pretty prime, right? especially in a stretch drive game against a contender, right? then why was my section half empty?

the game was tied at one until the Giants scored one in the bottom of the fifth. the stadium was silent. in between innings, I was listening to the little community service message they played on the scoreboard. I heard every word.

the next inning, the astros had 2-3-4 up. Beltran, Biggio and Berkman. Lowry was dealing. The stadium was silent. LLowry got the first two out and went full on Berkman. the stadium was silent. the scoreboard exhorted the crowd "Make some Noise!!" a roar went up that lasted a full four seconds and then...yup, the stadium went silent.

maybe there was a special on Chardonnay Spritzers. Maybe there was a backup at the wireless ports. Whatever the reason, the crowd was absolutely dead. Middle of the pennant race, the giants are leading the wildcard and within sniffing range of the division, and they are playing one of the teams on their heels in the wildcard. plus, they've been playing good ball lately. And, the fans can't keep their heads in the damn game for longer than a few seconds at a time.

these fans do not deserve a playoff team (although I can see my Dodgers are about to hand them one).

Ulysses
09-23-2004, 02:44 AM
I was there last night about 20 rows above home plate. My sister and I were cheering for the Astros. Well, at least in the first inning when they were hitting home runs instead of completely self-destructing.

But while we were cheering for the 'stros nobody was jeering us. Once a guy started smoking a few rows down, the whole section went ballistic, though.

M2d
09-23-2004, 02:54 AM
It seemed like the only time the crowd really got into it was when Bonds was getting walked (four times intentionally tonight). I think it was the rubber chickens more than anything else that pulled them from their seats.

as to the intentional passes, well, it's just good baseball (tonight, at least).

the first inning, bonds came up with a runner on second. they threw to him and he took them off the wall in right center for a triple (btw, there were two triples in the game tonight, both by the giants...pretty rare). the next two times he came up, they walked him with runners on and first base open.

each time they walked him, JT Snow hit some weak poopy fly behind him to end the inning.

the next time up, there were runners on first and second. count was 1-1 and the game was still close. first time the entire crowd had been on its feet the whole game. then the reliever threw a wild pitch, moving the runners up. I immediately sat down (had to stand, even though I hate the giants, because everyone else was standing and I couldn't see otherwise), knowing what was coming. everyone around me was shocked and screaming at the stros for walking barry here. it was serious anger, too. not the normal ragging on an opponent for walking barry. they couldn't understand why walking him here was a good play.

right there, giants fans started climbing on my list of "least knowledgable fans", paralleling their rise on the "most pathetic" list.

Chris Daddy Cool
09-23-2004, 03:10 AM
dude you live in SF and you're an astros fan?

Boris
09-23-2004, 03:13 AM
I'm a big time A's fan. I am very concerned about their starting pitching. I think they really miss Rick Peterson. Mulder has been atrocious lately. Zito, Hudson and Harden have been good but not great. I think after 5 years opposing batters have figured out that these guys don't throw many strikes. Fortunately the Angels are massively underperforming. Even so it will be tough to close out the division. Texas has pride and talent. Seattle has young guys that are fighting for respect in the big leagues and a spot on a major league team next year. That is always a tough team to face at the end of the season.

Chris Daddy Cool
09-23-2004, 03:37 AM
i'm really concerned over mulder's performance as of late. he's dropped from cy young leader to not mentioned at all. i love zito but he's been pitching like a normal pitcher all year. hudson has been the rock of the staff, but even he's been getting touched up as of late too.

they simply can't lose the west because they won't win the wildcard as that's coming from the east.

sfer
09-23-2004, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Giants have, hands down, the worst fans in baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've obviously never seen a sporting event in Philadelphia. They would boo Rocky if they had the opportunity.

Also, I think attendance in excess of 95% capacity is a pretty good set of fans.

sfer
09-23-2004, 11:22 AM
The Giants are making it because of:
<--------------That guy.

M2d
09-23-2004, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You've obviously never seen a sporting event in Philadelphia. They would boo Rocky if they had the opportunity.

[/ QUOTE ]
passion, even negatively directed, makes for much better fans than disinterest.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I think attendance in excess of 95% capacity is a pretty good set of fans.

[/ QUOTE ]
Going to Pac Bell is still "the thing to do". especially in the past couple of years when the Giants have been a winning team. just because the attendance numbers are high doesn't mean that the fans are great. people show up in the third have a white wine, email their friends, about how cool it is to be at the game, then leave in the seventh.

M2d
09-23-2004, 11:31 AM
due, I live in san mateo and am a Dodger fan.

TheRake
09-23-2004, 11:34 AM
I am playing hookie from work this afternoon to go watch my Rangers. I expect they are going to put another hole in the Athletics fast sinking ship /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Then again Chan Ho "outta the" Park is pitching for the Rangers today.

Good times,
TheRake

M2d
09-23-2004, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Then again Chan Ho "outta the" Park is pitching for the Rangers today.

[/ QUOTE ]

there's the poster boy for banning long term deals.

kerssens
09-23-2004, 12:12 PM
I've been torn as to whether I want to see the Cubs or Giants win the wild card, now it looks like they'll both get in with the Dodgers fading fast

ThaSaltCracka
09-23-2004, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
passion, even negatively directed, makes for much better fans than disinterest.

[/ QUOTE ] riiight....... so throwing snowballs at football players is okay? Or throughing batteries at players? Or heckling pitchers in the bullpen? or booing pregame performers?

totally absurd statement.

sfer
09-23-2004, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Going to Pac Bell is still "the thing to do". especially in the past couple of years when the Giants have been a winning team. just because the attendance numbers are high doesn't mean that the fans are great. people show up in the third have a white wine, email their friends, about how cool it is to be at the game, then leave in the seventh.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty exaggerated and certainly wasn't the case for the two games I saw there this year, which were both lower box and therefore more likely to be populated by the types you describe.

sfer
09-23-2004, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike Hampton.

nolanfan34
09-23-2004, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike Hampton.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's Denny Neagle, and it's not close. Hampton has pitched pretty well the last couple of years for Atlanta at least.

Chan Ho got hurt, I don't count that. Besides, Darren Dreifort might have him beat anyway. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

scrub
09-23-2004, 03:06 PM
The biggest reason the Giants are in trouble is that their schedule is terrible for the wild card relative to the cubs. They're going to have to win the west to get in, and while the Dodgers have looked bad this week, the Giants still need to make up one more game and it's going to come down to the games they play head to head with them. Even if the Giants do get in, their pitching will probably be screwed up for the first round of the playoffs since they won't be able to get their rotation in order.

I think the As are going to make it.

Also, I'm moving to the are at the end of the month and am currently accepting applications for the position of "local team I root for when their interests don't conflict with those of the Red Sox." The Giants are a prohibitive favorite at this point based on the league they play in, but I'm willing to hear out anyone who has good things to say about the As...

scrub

J.R.
09-23-2004, 03:20 PM
Texas has 7 games with Seattle, 4 with Anaheim, 1 with Oakland. Anaheim and Oakland play each other 7 times. Oakland gets 4 with Seattle/ 1 with Texas, Anaheim gets the aforementioned 4 with Texas. Sucks to be Anaheim playing all good teams. Texas could sneak in if Anaheim and Oakland beat each other up and Seattle plays down to their par.

M2d
09-23-2004, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I'm moving to the are at the end of the month and am currently accepting applications for the position of "local team I root for when their interests don't conflict with those of the Red Sox." The Giants are a prohibitive favorite at this point based on the league they play in, but I'm willing to hear out anyone who has good things to say about the As...

[/ QUOTE ]

it's pretty fun being a Dodger fan in giant country

TheRake
09-23-2004, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Texas could sneak in if Anaheim and Oakland beat each other up and Seattle plays down to their par.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just got home and I am speechless!!!

I have no voice from screeming /images/graemlins/grin.gif

These guys just keep winning against all odds

TheRake

Ulysses
09-23-2004, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
people show up in the third have a white wine, email their friends, about how cool it is to be at the game, then leave in the seventh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that the whole park is a wireless hot spot, you can take your laptop there and play poker.

scrub
09-23-2004, 07:19 PM
Yeah, I could see it happening. My Red Sox fan fatalism won't let me buy into it, though. I see the As winning the west and us having to play another brutal first round series with them.

scrub

offTopic
09-23-2004, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can tell you why they shouldn't make it. The Giants have, hands down, the worst fans in baseball.

I just got back from the game tonight. my section was Stadium Club right behind the Giants dugout. pretty prime, right? especially in a stretch drive game against a contender, right? then why was my section half empty?

the game was tied at one until the Giants scored one in the bottom of the fifth. the stadium was silent. in between innings, I was listening to the little community service message they played on the scoreboard. I heard every word.

the next inning, the astros had 2-3-4 up. Beltran, Biggio and Berkman. Lowry was dealing. The stadium was silent. LLowry got the first two out and went full on Berkman. the stadium was silent. the scoreboard exhorted the crowd "Make some Noise!!" a roar went up that lasted a full four seconds and then...yup, the stadium went silent.

maybe there was a special on Chardonnay Spritzers. Maybe there was a backup at the wireless ports. Whatever the reason, the crowd was absolutely dead. Middle of the pennant race, the giants are leading the wildcard and within sniffing range of the division, and they are playing one of the teams on their heels in the wildcard. plus, they've been playing good ball lately. And, the fans can't keep their heads in the damn game for longer than a few seconds at a time.

these fans do not deserve a playoff team (although I can see my Dodgers are about to hand them one).

[/ QUOTE ]

...unlike those four raucous sellouts the Dodgers had at Chavez Ravine against the Padres last week!!!

Oh, wait...

banditbdl
09-23-2004, 07:40 PM
How can you be an A's and a Giants fan. This is just mind-blowing to me. You pick one team or the other and go with it. No hedging your bets, no willy-nilly I like both teams crap. Pick a team, any team, and run with it.

nolanfan34
09-23-2004, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Now that the whole park is a wireless hot spot, you can take your laptop there and play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good god, utopia has been found.