PDA

View Full Version : A typical night.

Pokerho
09-22-2004, 09:24 PM
This is 3 of my first 4 hands tonight. Please, tell me what I'm doing wrong before I go broke.

Hand #1

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 max, 5 handed)

SB ($47.70)
Hero ($25)
UTG ($21.65)
MP ($17.55)
Button ($76.43)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">MP raises to $1</font>, Button folds, SB calls $0.75, Hero calls $0.50.

Flop: ($3) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets $0.5</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, MP calls $2.50, SB folds.

Turn: ($8.50) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, MP calls $5.

River: ($18.50) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks.

Final Pot: $18.50

Hand #2

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 max, 6 handed)

CO ($46.20)
Hero ($25)
SB ($21.15)
BB ($28.05)
UTG ($76.43)
MP ($24.50)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls $0.50, MP folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, SB folds, BB calls $1.50, UTG calls $1.50.

Flop: ($6.25) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets $1</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls $1.

Turn: ($8.25) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets $3</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $11.25

Hand #3

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 max, 6 handed)

MP ($46.20)
Hero ($25)
Button ($20.90)
SB ($32.90)
BB ($74.43)
UTG ($24.50)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, MP calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($2.50) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, Button calls $2, SB folds, BB folds, MP calls $2.

Turn: ($8.50) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, Button calls $4, MP calls $4.

River: ($20.50) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: $20.50

Button Turns over a J... Why didn't he reraise me? I hate losing money to terrible players, but lately that seems all I'm capable of.

PITTM
09-22-2004, 09:34 PM
i dont know whats wrong with hand 1, you missed, oh well, give up and fold that turn bet was a little crazy, bet a little less. hand 2 i would have called the river bet for information and the fact that you might very well have the best hand. hand 3 you got beat on the river, but you actually played it pretty well, oh well you lost that battle.

rj

Pokerho
09-22-2004, 10:32 PM
YAY! Please ignore previous whining. Although, commentary is still appreciated.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (10 handed)

BB ($30.25)
UTG ($32.40)
UTG+1 ($13.80)
UTG+2 ($87.55)
MP1 ($21.25)
MP2 ($24.50)
MP3 ($24.50)
CO ($18.43)
Button ($26.15)
Hero ($35.75)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.50, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises to $1</font>, CO calls $1, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, BB folds, MP2 calls $3.50, MP3 calls $3, CO calls $3.

Flop: ($16.50) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $31.75 (All-In)</font>, MP2 calls $20.50 (All-In), MP3 calls $20.50 (All-In), CO calls $14.43 (All-In).

Turn: ($103.68) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players, 4 all-in)</font>

River: ($103.68) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players, 4 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $103.68

Won by me.

1st guy had AQo.
2nd guy had K hi flush draw.
3rd guy had A hi flush draw.

Sponger15SB
09-22-2004, 11:02 PM
do you hate money?

Flop: ($16.50) K, 8, T (4 players)
Hero bets $31.75 (All-In),

CASHIZ
09-23-2004, 12:17 AM
hand 1: way to aggressive against a hand sure to call, he raised pre flop from mp suggesting he's got a good ace. My guess a-10, a-q. This type of hand is where semi-bluffing is a negitive ev play because there's no way he's folding, taking away the whole reason to semi-bluff in the first place, hence no profit from your bluff, u need to showndown. Definent check-call, or raise flop, check turn, depends on the type of player and what helps to get cheap draw.

Hand 2: Weak raise pre-flop, you must show dominance and commitment. With the blinds 25-50 plus the call you've got 1.25 in there so your raise here should be more like a buck to a buck 25. Coming in for 2.50 instead of 2.00 will make a huge differece.
I don't like the call on the flop, most players won't bet into a raiser without the goods. Plus he's coming out from the blinds after calling 1.50. If he's a weaker player where a slowplay is unlikley then two pair and a set of deuces is a real possiblity. But because of the size of the bet my guess is q-10, q-k. If he was a weak player with a monster (two pair, set) he's alot more likly to bet the pot or check-raise the pot.
Anyways you have a choice here re-raise if you think he can lay down a good Q. If not fold, calling is the worst play here.

Hand3: Don't know why you didn't raise here limping doesn't work here with 5 seeing the flop. Only limp in if the pot will be three way or heads up, otherwise your a dog to come out the winner, hence bad investment on your money. Raise to gain button postion and shut out limpers (THEY CAN ONLY HURT YOU, THEY ARE COMING IN WITH BAD HANDS AND WILL ONLY CALL YOUR FLOP BETS IF THEY HIT BIG, THAT INCLUDES STRAIGHT AND FLUSH DRAWS, TWO PAIR OR A SET. ALL OF WHICH BEAT YOU, THEY WON'T CALL WITH ONE PAIR)

Your bet on the flop must be minimum pot sized, you must win this here and now. You have straight and flush draws against you, shut them out now. Your turn bet is just wrong
you are definently beat here with 3 callers.

hope that helped, take your time and think each hand through they will wait for you believe me. good luck

fimbulwinter
09-23-2004, 12:20 AM
here's what's wrong:

Hand 1.
you're out of position with a SC facing a minraiser who most likely has an OK ace. the flop gives you three way action with a minbet and you'd love to see the turn, and you're getting great odds to go on your draw- this is certainly not the time to try a semi-bluff-raise with a non nut flush draw (or really any draw) against a guy who most likely has a nice ace that he's not going to let go of. remember, there must be folding equity in a semi-bluff- raising into a PFR with an ace on board here is silly unless he's an habitual raiser.

Hand 2.
Raise the flop to a PSB, you've got 2PTK and can probably scare off a weak queen. if he calls that and then bets pot on the turn, fold because now you know he won't.

Hand 3.
You got away cheap because he sucked, be thankful. when the card comes out that gives one card to a straight, look for a cheap showdown with TP2K. check, if he pushes (as many fish will here), you know you're sunk. Note the following: he was scared of KJ (the only hand that beats him)-put a note on him that he's uber weak, and bully him in the future. he didnt bet the river with the 2nd nuts against a board where there are many two pair/TP hands that would pay him off. get fashion and interior decorating advice from this guy.

fim

fimbulwinter
09-23-2004, 12:24 AM
money is the root of all evil, sponger...

Sephus
09-23-2004, 01:59 AM
the love of money.

LokiV
09-23-2004, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
YAY! Please ignore previous whining. Although, commentary is still appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Results oriented = bad bad bad bad BAD.

You played that hand terribly but got 3 ridiculous calls and won. If you had lost I'm sure you wouldn't be considering it a 'great play'.

If you don't see why I consider betting $31 into a $16 pot a horrible play, then you need more help than I can give.

I'm sorry that this is so harsh, but why did you really have me read this except to impress us?

Also your position in the SB with 10/10 and raising to 8x the BB is ... not good.

Pokerho
09-23-2004, 11:58 AM
I agree that results oriented thinking is bad. I was really ballyhooing the fact that I finally lucked out in the midst of a horrible winning drought, not that I suddenly don't suck because I won a big hand.

Now as to the all in. I wish I could remember why I chose to do that. Normally my strategy would be to make a pot sized bet in this situation. I did have a reason here, but now it eludes me. I think maybe I had decided that the first guy was a calling station, and would call no matter how far behind he was.

I may in fact need more help than is available here, but the way I see it, the reason the all-in was bad is that I theoretically would only be called by someone who had me beat. Is that the meat of it?

Pokerho
09-23-2004, 12:04 PM
more thoughts:

the 8x BB bet is also a little out of the ordinary for me. I did this hoping to isolate the raiser or just take the pot outright.

This is usually bad because I'll only get called by bigger pocket pairs?

jon_1van
09-23-2004, 02:42 PM
Hand 1...check the turn...he won't consider folding unless you make a monster bet...which is a bad idea

Hand 2...if you are gonna call the flop you better call the turn. You folded to a 3 dollar bet when there was already 11.50 in the pot. When there was a chance you were winning..and many cards that could make you win on the river.

Hand 3. Consider raising preflop to push out limpers...and why you bet the turn I don't know. The board looks scary enough that only hands that beat you will call.

Justin A
09-23-2004, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
more thoughts:

the 8x BB bet is also a little out of the ordinary for me. I did this hoping to isolate the raiser or just take the pot outright.

This is usually bad because I'll only get called by bigger pocket pairs?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's bad because you're likely to get multiple callers, you're in the worst possible position, and you'll probably need a set to win the pot.

Justin A

srblan
09-23-2004, 08:27 PM
The reason that the all-in is probably bad here is that you really want people to call you. Granted, they ended up calling you anyway, but the all-in bet gives them an easy chance to fold. I really don't think that you'd be as happy with this play if you'd overbet the pot and gotten no callers. You'd probably posting again that you're cursed because you made this monster hand and couldn't get any action with it...