PDA

View Full Version : Choosing your Limit

05-11-2002, 04:15 PM
Ok, I host a 3-6 game at my home every thursday night, the players I play with are terrible, I see them call raises with hands that only I can laugh with, but I find myself losing week after week.......I play very tight.....and then it happens I start opening up, I start playing some stupid hands.......but here is the thing......

In Atlantic City when I play at the Taj- I play 10-20........I wait and wait and wait, I seriously do not go into a hand unless I feel intuitively that I am a favorite, and what happens, my firt 4 hour session I win $120.....including tipping the dealer and waitresses.....and paying that rake of $5 each half hour. The hands that I lost with were pocket JJ's, which was checked all the way to the river..., and the other hand I lost was with pocket AA's when I got rivered by someone making a gutshot straight anyway, the following night, i play 10-20 as well in Atlantic city 5 hour session I'm up $220, the hand that I recall losing is having pocket 10's and the flop all rags....and someone had a set against me.....that was the only mistake that happened to me....so.......now getting back to 3-6, it's terrible, i can't play it...it's just ridiculous, yet I lost over $200 playing in my basement....because of either getting rivered or what not...... I admit though....playing 3-6, my starting standards drop terribly......but i just seem to play too loose in those low limit games.....I also have a good idea when someone is bluffing.....or when someone has the goods, I'm liable to call you down with a pair of 4's because I know you are betting on a draw, for instance this morning I was playing poker with my poker buddy NO LIMIT, and he went all in the flop was J 8 6 7, I called with A6, and he flipped over 55, unfortunately he hit a 9 on the river and made a straight, but how many people do you know would call someone down with bottom pair. The reason I get so confused in low limit, is because people call you down with everything, for instance, I flopped a set of 10's on a A K 10 flop, my opponnent had a 4 and a 5, and the turn river came up 2 3, and he made a straight and actually felt really good about himself.....and No....it did not set me up for tilt....but it's just hands like these, when no one gives you respect for a raise, there are so many possibilties....out there, even raising with AA, KK, QQ, is so hard, because if the flop comes up 9, 8, 4, someone probably has two pair already, usually these hands are only worth playing against like 4 or less people when you are against a field of 10....and if you don't flop a set, you have to fold......especially when usually 7 people take the flop with you.

In Atlantic City, i was playing 3-6, very very loose game, I had pocket QQ, I raised, the flop came up all rags, I bet, and was called all over, the turn came up, I checked and folded.....You must be thinking well why would you ever do that...WHY??? Because there are eight people in the hand.....and this hand will not hold up, plus there is an open ended straight draw out there, and someone could have 2 pair by now..... but, later on that night about 3 hands later, i get dealt pocket 10's, and I flop top set....again, I bet, everyone calls....., next card, rag, I bet, everyone calls, final card, no help, the only straight out there would be 97, i bet, one person calls...... my hand holds up...............

I find myself, playing better against a smarter group of players, because I have a good card reading sense, for instance, I was playing 3-6....and had pocket KK....flop came up 7 6 3, I bet, player calls, now a 6 comes up, player checks I bet, he raises...I KNOW I WAS BEAT, and i figured him for a full boat, I would like to tell you that I folded, but obviously I didn't, i let my ego get in the way, and i called him down.... sure enough he flips over pocket 77's for a boat.....I KNEW I WAS BEAT, yet i still called..... because it was low LIMIT.......and betting raising $6 doesn't mean anything to me, but when it's betting raising $20, then it does....should I just stick to high limit...mid limit, or what can i do to adapt better to this low limit stuff....

05-11-2002, 04:35 PM

05-12-2002, 02:26 AM
be bored with 3/6 after playing 10/20.

Stop playing 3/6 and play 10/20 or better.

U will do better in the long run because U have a psychological disadvantage when playing 3/6.

Happy pokering,

Sitting Bull

05-12-2002, 03:54 AM
sounds to me like you can't deal with the short term swings. financially, maybe. but psychologically, you're beating yourself up. work on folding when you KNOW you're beat. bet your strong hands very hard, for VALUE, and the looseys will call you all the way. other than that, the only thing to say is 'that's poker' and thats how it happens. tighten up a bit more preflop. post some specific hands on here, and pay attention to the responses you get. and when i say post some hands, i don't mean hands where you bet top set all the way and some cheeseheaed catches a miracle river card. post hands where you were unsure of what to do. and remember to have a reason for EVERY action you take at the poker table. i am personally a super intuitive person (and player), but i force myself to explicitly come up with good reasons for everything i do. if i can't, then i am forced to rethink my action. it helps incredibly.