PDA

View Full Version : question about AKo midway through

rcfactor
09-22-2004, 07:49 PM
its midway through a 22 dollar tourny on party. im big stack at table with around 5000. blinds are 50-100. next largest is around 3000.
I receive AKo in utg+1 and raise to about 600. folded around to next largest stack, who reraises 1000. what do i do here? call the raise and hope i hit, but then if i don't muck, or fold, or reraise all in. thanks for any help.

The4thFilm
09-22-2004, 07:51 PM
Are you playing to nickel and dime or win?

rcfactor
09-22-2004, 07:54 PM
well, i think at this point more to nickel and dime, which is why i folded, i guess if thats the main consideration here then its correct to fold. but if you are going to fold AK often i don't think you would make it that far either?

ornthnooth
09-22-2004, 10:03 PM
I would re-raise all-in pre flop. Obviously, if he has aces or kings you are in big trouble, but the chances of that are pretty small since you already hold one of each. Plus you get to put him on a decision for all of his chips and you ensure that your bigslick will see all five cards and have a chance to catch. Even if you lose, your stack size in relation to the blinds is decent enough to recover.

erfinator
09-23-2004, 05:48 AM
i certainly wouldnt reraise allin here... while there's a chance you have your opponent dominated w/ a,q or something, he most probably has a pocket pair, giving you a coin flip at best. why risk half ur stack on a coinflip when you're not even in the money yet? call and see the flop. if it helps, play accordingly. if not, fold.

housenuts
09-23-2004, 06:08 AM
if you're gonna lay down to a re-raise why not only raise it up to $400? raising to $600 is only going to cost you $200 more if you fold, and it won't do anything else.

housenuts
09-23-2004, 06:10 AM
in fact, raising 6x BB may be seen as an overbet and your opponent could sense weakness because of it. if you keep it to a standard 3x or 4x raise he won't know what to do.

wilkcards
09-23-2004, 06:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if you're gonna lay down to a re-raise why not only raise it up to $400? raising to $600 is only going to cost you $200 more if you fold, and it won't do anything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm a snob, but I hate minimum raises.

BrettK
09-23-2004, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
blinds are 50-100.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the poster who said that 3xBB is a better raising amount here.

Brett

edfilan
09-23-2004, 12:21 PM
I agree that the initial raise was a little high, but whether it was 3x or 6x, the best option is to push the reraise (albeit for different reasons).

With a 6x raise and a T1000 reraise, there would not be much folding equity on a push. The reraiser would surely call. But by this time, there's enoough money in the pot more than justify a coin flip. Assuming the reraiser calls your push, you're adding T2400 to win 50+100+600+3000=T3750.

If your original raise is 3x, the reraise is most likely smaller also -- say about 600 more. Now, your pot odds don't look quite so good but you have much better folding equity, which is where AK really shines.

Either way, you are the big stack with a hand that is only dominated by 2/221 other hands. All in baby.

gergery
09-23-2004, 05:48 PM
I would be more likely to fold here, but it depends heavily on whether you think he would make this play with a worse Ace (ie. AQ, AJ). If yes, then push allin. If no, then fold. Most players would not raise an UTG-raising bigstack with AJ or worse, and many would just call or fold with AQ

He is very likely to call a push, getting great odds and having a hand strong enough to raise an UTG raiser. Against a range of hands AA-TT/AK, your chipEV equity is 0, even getting 1.5 to 1 pot odds, and if you’re reading 2+2 you should be able to find much better spots than that.

And don’t raise 6xbb – too much risk for reward.

--Greg

housenuts
09-23-2004, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i wouldn't call 4x a minimum raise. that would be a 2x raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

donny5k
09-23-2004, 10:36 PM
The 6x raise is what made this a tough decision. Your opponent has a big pair every time. And he's confident it's good. Most likely queens or jacks but you'll occasionally run into aces or kings too. It's still hard to fold after raising 6x, I think folding makes you look so weak that you have to push.

adanthar
09-23-2004, 11:19 PM
I hate this initial raise, too, but the important thing is that I really really hate his reraise.

On Party, there are four things it could be: AK, AA, KK or the rare QQ (or A8o from a complete clown, but you would have a read on him, right?) I might be misreading this and the raise may only be to 1K, in which case you have to call and hope you hit your ace...but if it's to 1600 I think hard, sigh and muck.