PDA

View Full Version : Heads up. Did the flop hit him?

ddubois
09-22-2004, 07:31 PM
Question #1) I hold AB and try to steal a blind and am called. The board comes up CDE. What are the odds my opponent holds an C, a D, a E, or a pocket pair?

Question #2) I hold AB and try to steal a blind and am called. The board comes up CCD. What are the odds my opponent holds an C, a D, or a pocket pair?

(Basically, I want to know how likely it is that if I stab at the flop, my opponent will be forced to fold. I think knowing this information will give me more courage in post-flop play late in SNGs.)

I will make a feeble attempt at answering my own questions. I know that 5.8% of the time my opponent will hold a pocket pair. (Does the odds of this likelihood change given that I have seen ABCDE? I think it would, but the differnential is probably so small as to be insignifigant.) The 94.2% of the time my oppponent holds two unpaired cards, before the flop, we know it will miss him 1 - (44/50)(43/49)(42/48) = 32.4% of the time. But again, I think this changes given that we have seen ABCDE, because now we know that I didn't pair, and we know the board didn't pair. Both events make it more likely my opponent paired, so the 1 - (44/50)(43/49)(42/48) method is attacking the problem from the wrong direction. Ok, so let's start with, P(he has C). I think with 5 known cards, this is 1 - P(no C) = 1 - (44/47 * 43/46) = 12.5%. P(he has CD or E) = 1 - P(no C, D or E)? Is this 1 - (38/47 * 37/46) = 35%? Or is this wrong because they are not independent events? The resulting answer does seem reasonable however. If it is correct, then my hypothesis was right: the fact that ABCDE are exposed and known to have no pairedness amoung them does have a small impact on the likelihood of opponent having paired, but it's pretty inconsequential.

Now on to the CCD case. P(he has no C or D) = 1 - (42/47 * 41/46) = 20.1% so, unexpectedly, if the flop comes CCD, it's signifigantly less likely to have hit my opponent.

So the answer to the original question #1 is .058 * 1 + .942 * .35 = 38.8%. And question #2 is .058 * 1 + .942 * .201 = 24.7% (I think these are probably off by a little bit, again, the independence issue. But probably close anyway?)

Two followup lines of thought:

Question #3) How would I modify the problem to acocunt for the fact that people who call pre-flop raises on the bubble of a SNG are signifigantly more likely to have an ace than a ten, and more likely to have a ten than a 2? And these people are signifigantly more likely to hold a paired hand than an unpaired one? There is some bayesian math involved here, yes? I'd love to see some math or a formula that takes this into account. (Is there software I should own applicaable to this problem?)

Question #4) Any opinions on what conclusions I should I draw from this, with regards on how to play late in a tournament where the blinds are big?

(FYI, the specific scenario that got me the make this thread was that I raised UTG 4-handed a sixth of my stack on a blind steal with KQ, the flop came 339, and it was checked to me. I bet less than half of the pot, and he check-raised me all-in, either because he correctly sensed my bet as weakness, and/or because he had a pair/a big ace he thought was the best hand. I folded and greatly regretted not taking a free card to catch a K or a Q -- but had I missed and been bet off the pot on the turn, I am sure I would have regretted showing weakness by checking the flop. Stabbing at a pot like this has a big cost associated with it, I want to gauge how often it has to work to be profitable. Maybe if I bet larger he folds more often, or maybe he hit something and I was screwed regardless.)

Gator
09-23-2004, 12:48 PM
Not a direct answer - but my understanding is that 70% of the time the flop doesn't help someone.
Thus, if your opponent doesn't have a pair, 70% of the time the flop doesn't give him one (correct me if I'm wrong).
I use this thinking when I stab.

For example, holding 9sTs on the button preflop, I bet 3X blinds. Big Blind cold calls. Everyone else folds. Big Blind might have something based on his call. Flop comes A 6 3 rainbow. In many chip situations I make a stab at this to see if he’s scared of the ace – I expect to succeed more than 50% of the time. Obviously, I back off if I meet resistance at this point.

If you get better answers to your question than this, it might modify my thinking.

But this might get you started.

uuDevil
09-23-2004, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Question #1) I hold AB and try to steal a blind and am called. The board comes up CDE. What are the odds my opponent holds an C, a D, a E, or a pocket pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

Might be better to break the questions up into separate posts since most people (like me) are too lazy to do a lot of work. But I'll try the first one anyway:

Note that != means "not equal to."

1. Number of ways to be dealt a pocket pr, FF (where F != AA, BB, CC, DD, or EE):
C(4,2)*(13-5)

2. Number of ways to be dealt AA, BB, CC, DD, or EE:
C(3,2)*5

3. Number of ways to be dealt CX where X is any card:
3a. Number of ways to be dealt CX where X != A, B, C, D, or E:
3*(52-20)
3b. Number of ways to be dealt CX where X=C:
Already counted this in step 2.
3c. Number of ways to be dealt CX where X= A, B, D, or E:
3*3*4

4. Number of ways to be dealt DX or EX:
Same as for CX, in step 3.

5. Summing the terms in 1-4 and dividing by the total number of ways to be dealt 2 cards from the remaining 47 unseen cards:

P(opp holds any pr after flop)=
[C(4,2)*8+C(3,2)*5+(3*32+3*3*4)*3]/C(47,2)= .424607

I don't have 100% confidence in my answer, but if you want to try this method on question #2, I'll check your result.

uuDevil
09-27-2004, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Question #2) I hold AB and try to steal a blind and am called. The board comes up CCD. What are the odds my opponent holds an C, a D, or a pocket pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

My answer here is
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
Given AB, Flop:CCD #ways
pkt pr FF 54
AA, BB, DD 9
CC 1
CX, X!=A,B,C,D 72
CD,CA,CB 18
DX, X!=A,B,C,D 108
DA or DB 18
total 280

P(any pr)=280/C(47,2)= 0.259
</pre><hr />
[ QUOTE ]

Question #3) How would I modify the problem to acocunt for the fact that people who call pre-flop raises on the bubble of a SNG are signifigantly more likely to have an ace than a ten, and more likely to have a ten than a 2? And these people are signifigantly more likely to hold a paired hand than an unpaired one? There is some bayesian math involved here, yes? I'd love to see some math or a formula that takes this into account. (Is there software I should own applicaable to this problem?)

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point, I would use Poker Calculator (free program), which you can use to calculate equity against a selected range of hands. I think Pokerstove also does this, but I haven't tried it.