PDA

View Full Version : Checking behind with a set

Azhrarn
09-22-2004, 07:26 PM
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed). Opponent is loose and fairly passive.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.16 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Is this check any good, or am I being weak-tight again? I figured this would save me a couple of bets when I'm behind, and my opponent might call (or bluff, but probably not considering my read) a river bet with a hand he would otherwise fold on the turn. The tiny pot also made me want to play this more conservatively. On the other hand, I'm giving a free card to flush and full house draws, and I"m checking a frelling set! Thoughts?

Sundevils21
09-22-2004, 08:09 PM
I would usually bet it. He has got to be equally scared of the straight. If he check raises you, you can still catch up on the river. The combination of being able to catch up, possiblitly of him folding, and possibility of you having the best hand makes this a bet. Unless hes a good player and might check raise bluff you.

Richard Berg
09-22-2004, 08:12 PM
There are two flush draws. Checking could easily be a mathematical catastrophe. Also, winning people's money is generally good.

Richard Berg
09-22-2004, 08:13 PM
If there is only one person to act behind your bet, and you have no intention of folding regardless, "good players" should feel free to bluff you.

mikeyvegas
09-22-2004, 08:15 PM
Bet the river. If you're behind you have redraws. If you're ahead a flush draw, let him pay to see the river. It would suck to have a garbage hand that would have folded see the river for free and it ends up being an Ace and you have to chop the pot.

Alexthegreat
09-22-2004, 08:25 PM
If you are going to fold to a check raise, then you should check and take a showdown for one bet.....If you aren't going to fold to a check raise, then you should bet.....

mikeyvegas
09-22-2004, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to fold to a check raise, then you should check and take a showdown for one bet.....If you aren't going to fold to a check raise, then you should bet.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Hold on, who said anything about folding to a check-raise. This hand should definatly go to showdown in a heads up pot.

nepenthe
09-22-2004, 08:47 PM
Bet the turn and intend to go to showdown.

Azhrarn
09-22-2004, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It would suck to have a garbage hand that would have folded see the river for free and it ends up being an Ace and you have to chop the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you should mention that...

River was the ace of diamonds. Check, check, and my opponent shows pocket 7's for the split.

I suspected I played that too wussy, but I wanted some independent opinions. Thanks for the responses.