PDA

View Full Version : Adjustments from full-ring to 6 max (5/10)

Mons
09-22-2004, 07:21 PM
I started playing some 5/10 6 max and I can't believe how profitable it appears to be. Unfortunately after playing so many full-ring hands I'm lost as to how to change my game.

I'm not extremely worried about post-flop, although I understand the frequency of players betting hard to the river with nothing.

My main trouble is postflop. How much should I loosen up in 6 max? Do you have any 'rules' for preflop starting hands?

Also what is a good VP$IP for a winning 6 max player?

Thanks for any help!

Blarg
09-23-2004, 12:21 AM
I don't want to be the one presuming to give advice, because I'm not even a 5/10 player much less a 6-max 5/10 player, and I only have a relatively small sample of 6-max hands myself anyway.

But I will echo the advice of others here, and you can see if it has some value to you. I think Ed Miller okayed that advice too, at one point.

That is -- take Ed Miller's advice as to starting hands for full ring games and apply it as if the first four seats were missing. My meager experience seems to show that working okay so far. Perhaps you can incorporate some of Ed's advice into your shorthanded games that way too?

HEPFAP has a short-handed section too. It is all too brief -- I thought I was gonna start crying when it ended so suddenly -- but makes good points about stealing and blind defending. I'm not that good at that anyway, but 6-max makes it vital to be good at that. Following the HEPFAP advice as best I could, my folding SB and BB to a steal numbers came into line with what people recommended pretty quickly.

There are lots of interesting threads in this forum. I'm not usually a big fan of saying "use the search feature," but in this instance you really won't be wasting much time fruitlessly digging around before you turn up one interesting thread after another. Page back, search, whatever. It's well worth it.