PDA

View Full Version : NL Cy Young

mikeyvegas
09-22-2004, 07:20 PM
I believe that Randy Johnson should be this years winner. He is currently leading the NL in both ERA(tied) and strikeouts. He has been performing at this high level all season despite receiving very little run support from his team (which would explain his 14-13 record). Any comments?

andyfox
09-22-2004, 07:30 PM
Anybody else other than RJ wouldn't get the award with those numbers. I'm not saying he hasn't been the best pitcher in the league. But you don't win 14-13. Normally. Except for the fact that it's RJ.

But there's a guy who's been the 2nd or 3rd best pitcher in the league who's 18-4. Even if it's RJ who's 14-13, the problem for RJ is that the guy who is 18-4 is Clemens.

If Clemens ends up 20-4, I think he'll win it. If he ends up 18-6, and RJ ends up 16-13, it's possible. Tonight is a key game for RJ, as it's in Colorado and that place has a way of messing up pitchers' ERAs.

cjromero
09-22-2004, 07:50 PM
Clemens is more deserving than RJ. In 7 different starts this year, Clemens has gone 7 innings, given up one or zero runs, and either gotten a no decision or a loss. If he had gotten any modicum of run support/defense in those games, he would be at least 22-4.

SnakeRat
09-22-2004, 07:55 PM
This is hilarious, check out Randy's run support.
W/L record is very dependant on run support and bullpen, it is not an adequate measure of how well somebody played.

The unit pitched better this season, he should be the Cy Young this season.
He also threw more innings than Clemens.

Manimal
09-22-2004, 10:41 PM
You left out that he leads the league in batting average against and WHIP. And let's not forget that perfect game he threw. He just plays on a very bad team, and takes a lot of tough losses. On any team still in the hunt, he'd probably be a 20 game winner now, and a lock for the Cy Young.

Chris Daddy Cool
09-22-2004, 10:55 PM
unfortunately the sports writers love W-L records. this would be all a moot point though if schmitt suddenly hadn't started slumping

clemens will probably win it, especially if he gets to 20 wins

andyfox
09-23-2004, 12:06 AM
Yeah, RJ pitched well tonight in Colorado and lost. It's Clemens's to lose right now, one would think.

Senor Choppy
09-23-2004, 04:29 AM
If the award goes to the best pitcher in the league, RJ deserves it hands down. If it goes to the best pitcher who also happens to play on a fairly successful ball club, then he's obviously not a contender.

There's simply no one with numbers that are even in the same ballpark as Johnson's.

ThaSaltCracka
09-23-2004, 11:01 AM
Even though I hate RJ with a passion, he should probably get the Cy Young. Don't be surprised if Clemens wins though.

mikeyvegas
09-28-2004, 12:12 PM
Last nights line:
R Johnson (W, 15-14)7IP 5hits 1R 1ER 1BB 10K's
Currently 3rd in ERA (Looks like Peavy has ERA looked up now), 1st in K's(282), and 1st in BAA. What a waste of a season.