PDA

View Full Version : Unbelieveable??? or "How Dare you Call Me" - A Gloating Post

kurto
09-22-2004, 06:46 PM
I post the following just to vent and express my amusement at the odd attitude of some pokerplayers. Though feel free to berate me if you think I deserve a verbal lashing.

I'm playing a NL SNG at Pokerstars. It's relatively early on... I believe the blinds were 25/50, and my stack down to a little due mostly to blinds and not hitting any flops(let's say $1415 was left of my original $1500))...

I'm the first to limp in, UTG+2 with a pair of 6s. A MP player calls. Folds to- The SB who raises to 200, BB folds, I call, the other MP folds.

My instinct told me the SB had overcards. (At pokerstars and this particular match, any 2 overcards and with some, any ace, was worthy of a raise)

POT- $600; 2 to the flop

FLOP 2, 4, 5 unsuited
SB bets another $200, I raise to $400, SB calls.

(his call reinforces to me that he has nothing and is betting his overcards)

POT - $1400- An 8 falls on the Turn.
SB immediately bets $300. I call.

I'm certain he doesn't have me beat. I can't describe the read since on-line, especially early in a tourny, is often just based on how quickly and how much someone bets, but I felt with my gut that he had overcards or worse. And I knew that no matter card fell on the turn, that he was going to bet it. Certainly I didn't think it likely he raised preflop with a hand containing an 8 (unless it was pocket 8s) so I felt the turn likely didn't help him.

ANOTHER 8 falls on the river.

SB bets $500, enough to have me all-in except for $15 (he had enough to cover me). I thought, before the river fell, that THIS player wasn't going to give up his investment and would try to steal. And since he had me covered, he thought he thought he could scare me out. I go all-in (calling his bet and the remaining $15).

RESULTS
SB: A/4 unsuited for 2 pair (4/4/8/8/A)
ME: 6/6 for 2 pair (6/6/8/8/4)

You can feel him steaming. He posts twice and in all caps "UNBELIEVABLE." I said, "you're surprised a pair of 6s beats a pair of 4s?"

The reason I post this is I run into a lot of Phil Hellmuth types; and I love it. (for me, hearing Hellmuth rant is the BEST part of TV poker)

I've been berated several times by people who bluff, get called, and then yell at me for being stupid enough to call them. They seem to think that if they bet a certain amount, only an idiot would call them. As if there's some unspoken rule that if they bet a certain amount, the pot belongs to them.

Recently, someone ranted to me after overbetting the rivercard with just a jack high and I call; "How could you call? It was stupid for you to call!!! Didn't my betting tell you I could beat a pair? That was real stupid of you!"

"More stupid then betting with high card of a jack?" I reply.

But isn't it fun when you get it right? More fun then winning a big pot? I love competition and the emotion that comes out of it. Am I the only one who loves these moments? I know I'm just gloating, but isnt this the psychological part that makes the game so interesting?

Maybe I'm just a jerk?

willie
09-22-2004, 08:28 PM
i only rant like helmuth when people suckout.

i'm glad they get their money in there with way the worst of it, but it's frustrating to see it time and time again.