PDA

View Full Version : AKs in BB, calling JJ2 flop and raising the turn blank

Aaron W.
09-22-2004, 05:03 PM
Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, Button folds.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, SB folds.

River: (10.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

SB in this hand was an agressive player (going for steals and was caught bluffing a couple times since I joined the game) and MP1 didn't stand out in any way (neither good nor bad).

I played this one fairly impulsively, so I don't have a lot of reasoning to go with my play. I wanted to see what the other players would do on the flop, and at the turn I decided my hand was probably good vs. SB and I wanted to drive MP1 out of the pot. The call from MP1 made me feel like I was just throwing money away with that raise (and I might have been... someone give me some ideas here), and the river backdoor flush made me feel better.

detruncate
09-23-2004, 03:02 AM
I don't like the turn raise. You're not getting rid of MP1 if he's on 2-pair or a flush draw, and SB is more likely to lead the river if you just call the turn.

Cerril
09-23-2004, 05:25 AM
I'd have felt better if you'd raised on the flop rather than the turn. It'd have saved you a small bet had you not made the flush and might have knocked out a hand that would have been better than yours at the river, if SB was betting with less than you then you could potentially drag this unimproved.

Of course that's the difficulty with your position, you aren't quite sure on the flop whether to treat this as a made hand, drawing to a backdoor flush, or 6 outs plus a backdoor flush. I tend to treat AK as a made hand on the flop unless there's some very compelling reason to think otherwise, and play it strongly (after all, there's no way to distinguish my preflop play of AKs from a strong pair).

topspin
09-23-2004, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd have felt better if you'd raised on the flop rather than the turn. [...]

Of course that's the difficulty with your position, you aren't quite sure on the flop whether to treat this as a made hand, drawing to a backdoor flush, or 6 outs plus a backdoor flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a compelling reason for exactly why you need to raise the flop. If you get 3-bet, you can happily check-fold the turn unimproved since you'd then be pretty likely to be drawing dead. If you get flat-called, you can be more confident about your overcard outs since SB may just have a 2 or be on a bluff.