PDA

View Full Version : QQ river play

namknils
09-22-2004, 04:56 PM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (10.75 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero?

What would you do on this river? Is this a value bet, or does anyone check it down in fear of another check raise?

I should say the read on this player is that he is a decent player but tends to be too loose. He is not a maniac and I haven't witnessed him pulling checkraises all the time.

-nam

dejableu
09-22-2004, 05:12 PM
Perfect place to check behind on the river. This is exactly the type of board that could hit someone in the big blind quite hard.

In my opinion, you will be called or check-raised too many times by hands that beat you (two pair, a straight, even a flush) and not enough times by hands that you can beat (a 9, e.g.). Since overcards will never call and since he doesn't have an overpair (no re-raise preflop), I'd say checking is the best play.

P.S. Nice 3-bet on the turn...

namknils
09-22-2004, 11:17 PM
Well, I guess not much interest in this hand. Thanks for the response Deja.

I checked the river because it completed so many potential draws, he showed me ATo and I took it down. I think this was the right move because I can't see how anyone would call me on the river with a worse hand, but if he semibluffed the turn then he probably just made his hand on the river. If this is the wrong thinking maybe someone will explain why.

StellarWind
09-23-2004, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I should say the read on this player is that he is a decent player but tends to be too loose.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would have just called the checkraise on the turn. My philosophy in these situations is that he is looking at his hand and I am not. This board is quite coordinated and if he thinks he can beat my advertised overpair who am I to argue? He could easily have two pair or a straight.

Notice that when I call the turn he is likely to bet the river expecting me to have overcards. This is true regardless of whether he has a pair or a busted draw. I make the same money as the raise-the-turn-and-check-the-river line. But I don't run the risk of being capped and having a straight crammed down my drawing-dead throat.

Which brings me to the river. It's inconsistent. You took a major risk by 3-betting the turn and you seem to have gotten away with it. Now you have to bet the river to cash in. Otherwise you took the risk for nothing.