PDA

View Full Version : Good play or cheap shot?

05-10-2002, 08:38 AM
This happened at a HE table, but it is pretty general so I thought I would post it here. Can't say I have the betting order exact, but it's not important to what transpired. Five players see the flop with no raise. Hero sits in late position.

Flop is 347 hearts. Bet, raise, fold, Hero calls, fold, call. Three to the turn. Turn is black ten.

Bet, bet.

Hero asks dealer, "Dealer, how many players?

Dealer, "Three players Sir."

Hero," I wanted to know because I may call." Hero calls.

River is a black Jack. Check, bet, Hero raises, call, call. Hero turns over flopped staight flush and takes it down.

Hero had set his sights on one of the players in this hand for a personal vendetta, but I thought the cutesy verbage on the turn was a very cheap shot. What do you think about it?

05-10-2002, 09:07 AM
In low limit play you often get players talking like there weak trying to get callers for thier monster hand.

05-10-2002, 12:28 PM
Unless I had a big hand I probably couldn't fold fast enough. I think stooping to the oppositions level puts you in the same class. I've done it, and never have felt too godd about it (OK maybe 1 time).

Mike N

05-12-2002, 10:47 PM
This is neither a good play, not a cheap shot. Acting weak when strong, as you know, is a classic tell that most good players could pick up on, so the hero's play can't be considered good.

But there is also nothing remotely unethical about what he did. Who knows, maybe he really wanted to know how many players there were. Maybe if there were more he would have raised. And then when he gives his reason for wanting to know, that's just more information other players can use.

The point is, he's talking about how he's playing his own hand. I don't think that can ever be unethical (assuming he's not doing this to collude with another player).

Matt

05-13-2002, 06:44 AM
"This is neither a good play, not a cheap shot. Acting weak when strong, as you know, is a classic tell that most good players could pick up on, so the hero's play can't be considered good."

Why cant it be considered good?

The question is: DID IT WORK? ie.. did he win more money due to his comment OR NOT?

And even if he didnt.. that is no indication of the quality of the play.

What matters is his particular opponents. Since we dont know anything about them we cannot say that his "move" was a winner or a loser.

The reason acting weak when strong is so common is partialy because IT SOMETIMES WORKS.