PDA

View Full Version : Baseball blab on NL race and other tidbits

Zeno
09-22-2004, 02:25 PM
No help from the Astros as they stumble in San Francisco against the Giants and the sinking Dodgers have a slim and tenuous 1.5 game division lead. Huston is in a must win situation if they want to keep their playoff hopes alive.

Jim Tracy finally sent Nomo back to the bullpen, a move he should have done weeks ago. Brad Penny starts tonight against San Diego and the Dodgers chances will improve if Penny can be effective. The Dodgers cannot afford to slip down any more especially with the trip to the Bay area coming up. It may come down to the last series – a home set against the Giants.

The Diamondbacks have a good chance of winning 50 games this year, a mark I set for my team about a month ago. Victory is at hand. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Seattle may not reach 65 games but Ichiro’s chase of the single season hit record is fun. He is at 243 hits with 11 games left. He needs 15 hits to exceed old George Sisler. It will be close.

-Zeno

ThaSaltCracka
09-22-2004, 05:05 PM
two things I am rooting for:
1. Giants, always liked them and Barry. I hope they make the playoffs.
2. Ichiro, this would be awesome if he breaks the record.

WillMagic
09-22-2004, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
two things I am rooting for:
1. Giants, always liked them and Barry. I hope they make the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

You, sir, are a good man.

Will

Ulysses
09-22-2004, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Astros ... stumble

[/ QUOTE ]

Understatement.

M2d
09-22-2004, 06:51 PM
tonight I am the biggest Roy Oswalt fan and the biggest Padre hater in the bay area.

ThaSaltCracka
09-22-2004, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Will

[/ QUOTE ] I knew this already but thanks for the reinforcement. Same to you, Giants fan.

SossMan
09-22-2004, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Will

[/ QUOTE ] I knew this already but thanks for the reinforcement. Same to you, Giants fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

excuse me whilst I puke

andyfox
09-22-2004, 07:34 PM
I liked your Dodgers bet to win the World Series a few weeks ago but their starting pitching has gone into the crapper, and so has much of their relief pitching. Everybody talks about how the Giants depend so much on Bonds, but the Dodgers depend even more, I think, on Beltre.

If the Dodgers beat the Giants 3 out of the 6 games they play against them they should be OK. Otherwise, they could miss the playoffs completely: not only are they only 1.5 up on the Giants, they're only 2 up on the Cubs.

ThaSaltCracka
09-22-2004, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
excuse me whilst I puke

[/ QUOTE ]

if your gonna spew, spew in this http://www.skypic.com/sports/8-5558.jpg

Justin A
09-22-2004, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Everybody talks about how the Giants depend so much on Bonds, but the Dodgers depend even more, I think, on Beltre.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Giants have six players with more than 75 RBI's. They no longer depend just on Bonds. It's going to be a great six games here in the final stretch against the Dodgers.

Don't count out the Dodgers yet though, if Brad Penny can be effective they have a shot. Steve Finley is a huge asset on that team.

Justin A

kyro
09-22-2004, 10:13 PM
Liking Barry Bonds should be a crime. Besides being jacked up on 'roids, the guy is an ass, plain and simple.

On a side note, go Ichiro. That would be incredible.

Zeno
09-23-2004, 03:31 AM
Doesn't look like Penny will be any good and is probably out of the picture. Right now the Dodgers can't hit or pitch. Baseball sure is a funny up and down game - Like poker.

Ichiro is hot again and so are the Mariners at least for one night anyway.

The NL wildcard and west divison race is going down to the wire and it is all up for grabs.

-Zeno

sfer
09-23-2004, 11:31 AM
Those RBI numbers are inflated a bit. They're the hitters immediately behind Bonds who have the good fortune of having a baserunner on about 60% of the time they step up to the plate.

CCass
09-23-2004, 02:52 PM
I am no fan of Bonds, but I admire his ability.

Am I mistaken, or did I hear one of the commentators on ESPN say that since Bonds has been with the Giants, they have played 5 "meaningless" games?