PDA

View Full Version : Just call the turn 3-bet?

MHarris
09-22-2004, 02:11 PM
No read on SB.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif. UTG+2 posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 (poster) checks, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, Hero calls, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, UTG folds, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

River: (16 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 18 BB

Also, should I have 3-bet the flop instead of waiting for the turn and called down if SB capped?

mikeyvegas
09-22-2004, 02:28 PM
I play this hand exactly the same as you did. Nice hand, tough river.

Rico Suave
09-22-2004, 02:30 PM
MHarris:

I like your play here.

--Rico

J.R.
09-22-2004, 02:32 PM
Would KK or 55 be a likely hand to check-raise the flop? I think you lost to AK or KQ and played well.

Rubeskies
09-22-2004, 02:40 PM
I think the hero should fold the river.

Given the action here, I don't think the hero is good here 1 in 30 times let alone 1 in 18. What could the villain possibly have that the hero beats?

crockett
09-22-2004, 02:46 PM
Question.

Shouldn't he 3-bet the flop? He has MP1 and SB pinned down so it is likely they will both call and he will pick up another BB their. Also, if it's capped it lets you know on the cheap street that KK is a strong possibility and you can now slow down.

Or does the smooth call give you a chance to raise him again when he bets on the turn. This is called a stop-n-go correct?

I just thought on this completely drawless board you want to get in as much money as you can when you flop a set because it is likely that most will fold on the turn when they don't improve and you might not have a chance to raise anyone.

MHarris
09-22-2004, 03:07 PM
Thanks for all your replies. I was wondering about capping the turn because SB is 3-betting me after I've led the flop, smooth-called, and raised the turn. While KK didn't seem likely when he C/R'd the flop, I thought it was a very real possibility after he 3-bet me. I called the river bet getting 17:1 figuring I could be up against AA 6% of the time or better. As it turned out, he showed down KK.....tough break.

mikeyvegas
09-22-2004, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the hero should fold the river.

Given the action here, I don't think the hero is good here 1 in 30 times let alone 1 in 18. What could the villain possibly have that the hero beats?

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I beleive 1 in 17 times you'll see an overplayed pair of A's. I would always call one bet in this situation with this size a pot.

esspo
09-22-2004, 05:01 PM
I think your rational for the river call is spot on. Holding an underset sucks, next hand.

I think the interesting questions is what if the river does not pair the King. Do we like a raise? Probably. Do we cap? In theory no, but in practice I have trouble not pulling the trigger.

Rudbaeck
09-22-2004, 06:02 PM
Well, today I called in pretty much this exact spot (two overpairs to my set) and took down the pot. And I seriously think this happens more than 1 time in 18 at small stakes.

BottlesOf
09-22-2004, 06:04 PM
I think I'd 3-bet the flop and get some more dead money in there. Turn and river are fine.

MHarris
09-22-2004, 11:34 PM
If the river is anything other than a K, I raise and call a 3-bet. SB is 4-1 to hold AK rather than KK. This pot is huge and I suspect I'll get paid off no less than 3 out the 4 times it is AK.